Hull plug replacement help.

fred.r

Lost the plug for the hull of my Laser. Going to replace it tomorrow with a newer one. How do I remove these rivets? Thanks in advance.
photo-6.jpg

2 options here:

1) Go out and buy just the plug, these are still available as my boat has the same fitting and I picked a spare up a while ago.

2) Buy one of the new style screw fittings and very carefully (using a sharp drill bit) drill those rivets out. They look like ali rivets so they should be quite soft.

My preferred option would be 1 as you may find you have issues getting the new hull fitting to attach securely without resorting to filling the holes for the rivets, fairing and then re-drilling to take screws.

I tend to agree with Jeffers on the surface.. but..

If you drill out the rivets, fill if necessary, install new stainless screws, then you eliminate those holes in your hull. Why in the world they used pop rivets ( with their corresponding *holes* ) is beyond me. Of course they are above the water line, so my OC response might be over the top.

Then again, Laser rules might require rivets.. who knows.. :) Me.. I'd replace the whole assembly ( with stainless screws ). Your fitting actually looks pretty well sun damaged as well.

Getting the rivets out is as Jeffers says.. a very sharp drill bit turning at fairly low speed will carve off the top of the rivet, then it will allow you to punch the rivet thru or pry the plastic part off, then retrieve the remaining rivet pieces thru the drain hole. If the rivets are stainless, you're in for a challenge. You will know as soon as you start.. you can actually hold a drill bit in your fingers ( no drill ) and carve off the top of an aluminum rivet if the bit is sharp enough. Stainless will resist all such activity.

Back