Hull/Deck problem need your advice

Bobetpine

Hi all,

My "new" Laser is not perfect. It has some spots where the hull and deck are beginning to split, to unstick, I don't know what would be the correct term for it. I did the soap test as advised here:

http://www.windline.net/proj4.htm

and found no bubbles (good news I suppose). Since I'm not planning on racing (just sailing for fun) would you spend the money to have it professionnaly fixed or you would just put something like (I don't know, feed me on this, too) silicone?

I don't have fiberglass skills...

I also have a problem with the bailer. It's supposed to be broken (I don't know, I've never seen an unbroken bailer!)

If you'd like to see pictures of those 2 different problems, email me at [email protected]

Thanks many times.
Pascale

Post the pictures here! I´m not sure how it's done, but it's got to be quite easy... Anyway, I think it will be easy to fix. Some epoxy on the hull/deck joint, and a couple of new o-rings in the bailer.

sounds like your describing some gaps where the deck is sandwiched to the hull. Oddly enough, we see this in the shop on a few new lasers from time to time as well.

Since you find that it isn't leaking, that is good. What normally happens is on a tack, the rail is underwater, and the deck and hull flex. This changes the pressure in the hull and water can get sucked IN through those gaps under the rail.

not sure what "new" meant, but if it's less than a year, take it in for warranty repairs.

I assume it's older than that, hence the bailer problems. Post those pics and we can all take a look. A new bailer is pretty easy to install if yours is indeed broken.

Hi guys,

My Laser is an old 82...but I just bought it so that's why I said it's new. I'd like to post the pictures but can someone teach me how?

Thanks

Bobetpine said:
Hi guys,

My Laser is an old 82...but I just bought it so that's why I said it's new. I'd like to post the pictures but can someone teach me how?

Thanks

Hi Bobetpine,
To post a picture, first hit "reply," then scroll down below the blank box for your message to the "Additional Options." Click on "manage attachments" and follow the instructions there. It will allow you to browse your computer for the pictures.

Merrily

Here are the pics

Here they are...You'll see the hull/deck split and I enclose a picture of my mast step to get your opinion about it too.

The guy at the boat shop (in fact they sell boat stuff AND they repair boats) said I could put Sicaflex (sp.?) in the splits for this summer and see what happens. Do you agree?
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 21mai2005 001.jpg
    21mai2005 001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 63
  • 21mai2005 006.jpg
    21mai2005 006.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 55
  • pied de mât 001.jpg
    pied de mât 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 52
Ok, for the hull/deck thing, I had the same problem (only smaller splits) and I fixed it with epoxy and a syringe. Can't tell you if it worked because I just did it, Sikaflex is very good, you can try that too but I don't know how you can fill the split, I never tried it, it's too thick and sticky to use a syringe.

For the bailer, it looks like you're missing a piece of it, check this link, and the last item on the list is the repair kit, the piece you are missing is the square one

http://www.ldcracingsailboats.co.uk/shop/index.asp?InBox=Laser Spares&selection=category

also I'm posting a drawing of a bailer modification, it's the closest I found for a bailer diagram...

The mast step looks just like mine...

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 58
Actually, I never thought about using Sikaflex but I could have... Anyway, I wanted to fill the split as much as possible, and Sikaflex is too thick for it. Thinking about it, maybe it's better to use sikaflex because it's more flexible and will absorbe hull deformation better.

Epoxy or Polyester resin, thickened w/ additives such as cabosil (sp) has been the standard for delaminated rails. I haven't used Sikaflex, but 3M 5200 would be my choice if I wasn't using resin. I do know it has much higher adhesive qualities then Sikaflex. There shouldn't be anydeformation in the rails (unless of course you getting rammed by a port tacker ;-)

Back