Hull Condition

I need advice concerning the condition of my hull. Four years ago I purchased a 1973 boat that had been used less than 3 times and then stored in a barn. It was truly in "mint" condition. When I purchased the boat it weighed 140 pounds. The interior has been dry and the hull has no leaks. I have raced the boat almost every weekend from April to October for the past 4 years. In the spring I noticed that I had "waves" in the hull. These appear to the hull colapsing between the foam blocks.
Yesterday, I was out with winds that were 18-20 and white caps and when going up wind the hull seemed to be vibrating if I flatened the boat out into the chop. Again, I have sailed this boat for 4 years and not had that happen before. When I got the boat back up on the trailer it appears the the deck has collapsed down from the front of the splashguard to the mast step.
Also, this year I have had my worst season sailing as far as finishes both at my home club and at regatta's. I do not know if this would have anything to do with performance. ( other than picking the wrong end of the starting line, wrong side of the course, etc) Has anyone experienced this with their boat? Would this have an impact on boat speed. Any fix to the problem. Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Might it be the vent hole is plugged in a way the hull expells air when it gets hot in the sun, but can't draw it back in when it cools off. The vent hole is upper center of the cockpit front wall. Do you open the drain screw plug on the deck after you beach? Does it hiss as you unscrew it? If the hull is collapsing from a vacuum that might suck in the bottom too. That would mess with speed through the water. That might make a noise or the noise could be dagger board rattle and unrelated to anything else.

Someone just mentioned this test - with the mast installed push it front and back, side to side. Is the deck flexing when you do this? Easy flexing of the deck can mean a broken loose mast pocket.

I had the same problem and found a loose foam block in the front. U.S. Composites sells a two part pourable foam (4lb) that you can mix up in small quantities, pour between the foam block and the deck/hull and wait for it to expand. If you already have an inspection port between the daggerboard trunk and the splashguard, this job won't take more than an hour. Otherwise, you'll need to install an inspection port. Just follow the directions in the link provided above.

p.s. Depending on the amount of sag, this may indicate structural damage that occurred after the foam block was dislodged, so make sure you inspect it both inside and out before you pressure test it.

Back