How to install an hiking strap on a 1979 Sunfish

blueberry

I just bought a 1979 Sunfish but there is no hicking strap. I presume I need to back up the bolts with a piece of wood. If I install an inspection port behind the splash guard, there will be no problem. But how to secure the end near the storage compartment? Using pop rivets will it be strong enough?

Attached is a picture of the cockpit. Thanks for your advice.

P.S.: I have found a tread posted on Feb 4 2009. It seems like it is impossible to install a hiking strap unless you attach it to the high side. It seems to me it would be hard to hike with a hiking strap so high. How about simply screw the hiking strap without backing plate?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 38
Re: How to install an hicking strap on a 1979 Sunfish

I have one installed on my 83 SF. There is a lot of force on a strap and rivets into fiberglass would certainly pull out at a most inopportune time!!
You can mount the back of the strap using two eye bolts drilled through the 'lip' of the rear storage compartment. Drill straight through the lip so that the drill bit comes out inside the storage compartment. This gives you access to the back of the bolts since they go completeley though into the storage compartment. {in your picture the bolts would be on either side of the 'v' that lets water drain out of the storage area}. Put two 2 inch long eye bolts with nylocks in the compartment area with washers to spread the load. You can then tie the strap to the eyebolts with halyard line.
Lowe's has the stainless eyebolts, washers, and nylocks for just a few bucks. dont forget some silicone III.
happy hiking:eek:

Re: How to install an hicking strap on a 1979 Sunfish

Thanks for the infos.

Too bad that the class didn't allow hiking strap as standard equipment at that time. Is is standard today?

In addition to the post of johnnywo, there is a lot of good info in older threads. Just use the Search function (upper bar) with 'hiking strap' as input.

Back