How to improve the smell of sailing??

Sunfish Newbie

I sailed as a boy, and loved it. I recently bought a used Sunfish and have been sailing in Charleston. I picked it right back up and it has been great. The only thing I am running into is often when the tide is low, it will smell sort of fishy or funky on the water, especially when sailing near shore. Has anyone tried using some sort of air freshener or Glade on the boat to improve the smell while sailing? I have seen an aerosol - it puts out a blast every few minutes by itself, but if it could do it every 30 seconds or so it would be better for this purpose. Would Glade "stick ups" mounted on the boom help? Has anyone tried something along these lines? I think many would enjoy the sport more. Kevin.

Home Depot and Lowes sell respirators designed to be used when painting. You could wear one of those close to shore, altho I don't know if they work if the filters get wet. You could also douse yourself in cologne or after-shave before sailing on low-tide days, or perhaps bring a crew member along to spritz the air freshener every so often to avoid these horrible smells you are encountering. Fresh air really can be a nuisance.

Have I unknowingly traveled 6 weeks ahead in time? Is it really still April 1st? The ocean smells like the ocean. If you don't like it, sail in fresh water, it's easier on the boat.

I believe that Charleston harbor is a mixing bowl with three rivers competing with the tides. Makes for 'interesting' sailing.

I used to sail in RI when I was a kid and the smell when the tide went out was amazing. It still brings back fond memories. That and the gnats. :D

I sailed as a boy, and loved it. I recently bought a used Sunfish and have been sailing in Charleston. I picked it right back up and it has been great. The only thing I am running into is often when the tide is low, it will smell sort of fishy or funky on the water, especially when sailing near shore. Has anyone tried using some sort of air freshener or Glade on the boat to improve the smell while sailing? I have seen an aerosol - it puts out a blast every few minutes by itself, but if it could do it every 30 seconds or so it would be better for this purpose. Would Glade "stick ups" mounted on the boom help? Has anyone tried something along these lines? I think many would enjoy the sport more. Kevin.

Fishy or funky smell? That happens to me sometimes... ... a shower helps.

A lot of people will shell out millions of dollars to buy a waterfront house so they can sit on their front porch and look out over water and breathe salty air every day. I live on the Chesapeake Bay and it smells like that here twice a day when the tide goes out.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try the respirator. It seems like the simplest way to avoid the stink that comes up on the water sometimes. Kevin

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try the respirator. It seems like the simplest way to avoid the stink that comes up on the water sometimes. Kevin

If you fall overboard wearing a respirator you could be in trouble. Your best bet is to wear a complete scuba setup, supplemented with Glade stick-ups, and a battery powered aerosol rig that puffs out a mountain fresh scent every few seconds, a liberal dose of Old Spice after shave, and time your sailing to high tide only. And a coach boat to stay upwind with about 30 odor eaters tied to the rails.

That should do it.

i think the bubble from "the boy in the plastic bubble" is still in storage at 20th century fox studios. you may be able to get it cheap. this would solve all of your problems: you wouldn't smell anything and if you fell overboard you wouldn't sink.

Since NASA just discontinued the Space Shuttle program they might have some surplus space suits for sale. :)

Back