How to Heave-To: Sketch included

KingJPW

Ok, I was finally successful at Heaving-To after several attempts on several days and thought I'd create this sketch for other novice Capri 14.2 sailors.

I must admit that I was completely surprised at the dynamics of heaving-to. I heard people say the boat 'rocks'. I wished they had said it 'rotates back and forth'. (In the sketch below, this means the boat alternates between what is labeled R1 and R2.)

I don't want to give step-by-step-instructions. You probably already know that you start closed-hauled and then perform a tack, but don't release the jib. You will need to ease the main. And push the tiller fully leeward.

The goal is to achieve an slight alternating imbalance between the jib dominating (R1) and the main dominating (R2). The jib dominates when it blocks wind from the mainsail. When this happens the jib causes the boat to 'bear away' (R1). However as the boat bears away, it reveals the mainsail to the wind. The mainsail will begin to dominate and cause the boat to 'head upwind' (R2). As the boat heads up, the jib will again block the main, and so the cycle is repeated infinitely. :eek:

It's important to point out the when hove-to, you will be pointing into the wind at an angle similar to being close-hauled. However the boat will drift downwind, not at all in the direction the boat is heading!

My GPS revealed movement of .5 to 1.5 mph and I was able to have a nice lunch during the next 20 minutes of drifting. I even sat up on the bow, kicking my feet in the water like a child.

Good luck!

picture.php

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the same manuver as a "Roll Tack" ?? :)

No!

The heave-to manuever is used to stop a boat in heavy air and giant waves; or to park a boat while at sea or while waiting for the next race.

The roll tack is used to keep as much speed as possible during a tack. In fact, when done correctly, you can even accelerate (in light air). The general idea is to use weight placement to steer the boat rather than the tiller.

Way to go KingJPW! The heave-to is a difficult maneuver to master. I've had problems maintaining it at our lake: the wind shifts a bit too much for me to be comfortable dangling my feet off the bow. It is a maneuver that also requires that your boat be set up with a nearly balanced helm.

I just last year got mine balanced (lots of trial and error), so that I could practice steering without a rudder. This next year, it'll be "back to the drawing board" since I'm converting to a fixed gooseneck, changing to a new (to me) mainsail off of a Vangard 15, and installing new forestay and shrouds.

You mentioned your GPS; what kind are you using? I'm in the market for one to use in tuning my boat.

@woodbark: King is right about the roll tack. When done correctly, it is a bit like swishing your cupped hand in the water when paddling in an inner tube. The sails cup the air as you rock the boat violently during the tack. You really get the exhilaration of accelerating through a track rather than the usual slow down as you cross the wind. Just talking about it has me excited; I'm ready to sail, but, alas, our season doesn't start until May.

-- Ed

Thanks Pokey and Chemprof, KingJPW's sketch and the manuver now makes a lot more sense ;) probably a good one for avoiding a collision as well :eek:

As for the Roll Tack, well, I have yet to try this Ed. I have watched it on UTube and observed it live at the local Sailing School at the Whitby Harbour, I love it and can't wait to learn it, hopefully this summer!

woodbark,

Just let your crew know you are about to roll tack. I didn't one time, and my wife won't let me forget it. She thought we were going over so naturally she high-tailed it to the high side and ruined all my fun. 'Supose that's why I'm doing mostly solo now? :)

Oh, and before I forget, make sure you realize, as KingJPW points out, that you are going to drift downwind while in a heave-to position. Start with plenty of room and I'd recommend not falling asleep!

-- Ed

heave too

I have an omega 14 with hanked on jib. I also have a Cat. 25 with roller furler on the jib. I have found it much easier when i roll the jib in to about 60%. At 130 the boat will twist back and forth exactly like a fish on a line. By adjusting the main sheet it will settle down nicely. I do this almost every time i sail to eat lunch, use the head,etc. There is a very true saying among sailors: Sometimes less is more. Charley

Hove to

I suppose it is a matter of perspective, but I think of the process of heaving to more like this: The boat sails slowly on the selected tack because of the back-winded jib. Then as it picks up a little speed the rudder (helm tied down a-lee) takes the boat up toward the eye of the wind. However it quickly stalls and slowly falls off to repeat the process. In other words the bow will fall off, point up as it gathers headway, then fall off, etc, without ever coming about. Perhaps someone who knows more about it will chime in and tell us we are both wrong.
One more thing, BTW, one should watch the lee shore because the when hove to the boat does drift of---makes leeway.

I have an omega 14 with hanked on jib. I also have a Cat. 25 with roller furler on the jib. I have found it much easier when i roll the jib in to about 60%. At 130 the boat will twist back and forth exactly like a fish on a line. By adjusting the main sheet it will settle down nicely. I do this almost every time i sail to eat lunch, use the head,etc. There is a very true saying among sailors: Sometimes less is more. Charley

I also have an omega with a hanked on jib. I don't recall actually ever setting it up hove to, but I have done it many times on my Lido 14 and it works swell. I usually solo the Omega in fair wind and it is ticklish to leave the helm unattended under those circumstances. PS did you ever seem my Omega 14 drawing I did? I think I posted it here a year or more ago.

Back