How to attach the velcro clew strap

jbd214

Is there a best practices way to attach the velcro clew strap?
Mine came off the 3rd time yesterday.
I would ditch it and get the sleeve but I already have invested in an additional $30 in a shackle with pulley.

This is real timely, mine came off yesterday in 20+ after being perfect for 5 high wind outings. PITA.

Mine is a decent APS version.

Post a pic of it so we can see what you are doing..

The bulk of them are built so that the "tail" (longer piece of th strap) goes around the boom, thru buckle/ring and back on itself and then from the "tab" (the shorter piece) comes down on the tail

The velcro does wear out (the fuzzy section). I replace the velcro on mine after approx 40-50 sailing days

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 51
This is real timely, mine came off yesterday in 20+ after being perfect for 5 high wind outings. PITA.

Mine is a decent APS version.

We made ours ourself and it has been used in all winds for 12 or 13 years not once has it come off.

Does yours have a separate piece of velcro going the opposite way to the first bit because if it does I see no reason why it should come off at all!!! Also we use a circular ring instead of an oval or square or trapezium shaped ring. (Not that there is much difference)

If it's all the same to you, I'll not post the idiotic way I had it rigged and gracefully accept the method in your drawing.

Thanks!

Been there myself.

I'm willing to bet that everyone that has had a clew strap come undone on them on the water had rigged it incorrectly.
They are bomber when you use them correctly.

Video of how to do it properly here.

Thank you the video. I will try it that way.
I had the ring at the bottom of the boom and I think it was a bit slack so it could slide easier.

Back