How to attach rudder

JLR

I'm a new member and realize this is a dumb question, but everytime I try to attach the rudder, it's hit and miss until it finally locks into place as the boat bounces in the waves. Surely there is an proper method, but I can't find any instructions. Can someone help? Thanks.

Try attaching the rudder before launching the boat. Keep the blade up until boat is launched, then lower it. If you must attach it while the boat is in the water keep it folded up until it snaps in place, then lower it. Can be tricky.

Clyde

It's probably significant to first learn which rudder style you have. Do you know the year of your Sunfish? Is it a stainless bracket or bronze?

It's stainless steel. I think the boat was built in the late 1990s. There is a pin on a spring. I'm going down to the lake right now to see if I can figure it out while it's on the beach. It's such a gradual decline into the water that I'm not sure I can get it locked into place while it's on the shore.

Take a look at p14 for the basic instructions. ( http://www.laserperformance.com/main/images/stories/pdfs/Sunfish/Sunfish(US).pdf ) On my boat the pin pushes up from the bottom instead of down from the top as shown. Shouldn't make any difference in the way it locks into position. Be sure your gudgeon bracket isn't bent. The two notched tabs the pintle pin fits into should be at right angles to the transom and parallel with one another. If yours are angled differently that could be the problem.

Thanks very much Dan. I never knew there was an owners' manual, so that link was very helpful. After fiddling with the rudder attachment on the lake this morning, it looks like I have to push the pin up from the bottom after the top of the pin is hooked in and pushed down. It doesn't snap in like the manual suggests it should, without an extra push from the bottom. Should be a nice morning after your help. Thanks again.

That sounds like the spring is broke or you're missing a "C" clip so there's no spring pressure or the gudgeon tabs are squeezed together making for a tight fit on the pin. The pin should engage by slipping its narrow sections straight into the notches in the gudgeon tabs. Release the pin and the spring should easily snap the narrow sections into the rudder head preventing the pin from exiting the gudgeon tabs. It should all work smooth as silk, no hooking or forcing needed.

Back