How to anodize aluminum?

AJC6882

I had one of my lower booms repaired. The person who had it before some how broke it at the gooseneck. (nice clean break too, wierd!) So I had it repaired and the guy did an awesome job, my only concern is that its going to corrode quickly. I shot some enamel paint on it but its just gonna chip off when the gooseneck is adjusted. Does any one have any ideas? I thought waxing it might be a solution. or finding away to anodize the repaired area. Please help. thanks.

Does any one have any ideas? I thought waxing it might be a solution. or finding away to anodize the repaired area. Please help. thanks.
I think the easiest way is to clear coat or Penetrol it every so often. Wax is a runner-up to those two coatings. If you sail fresh water the corrosion problem will be minimal, left unsealed it will, however, get a dull patina that rubs off graphite black on your hands and sail. In saltwater, corrosion can be more aggressive and a fresh water rinse is a regular need even for anodized aluminum.

You can anodize, but you may not like the hassle.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Should you decide to get that involved, a long "processing tank" can be fabricated out of 6" PVC pipe.

Back