How thick is the deck?

hoipolloi

Seems as though the Taser next to me may have quaffed a little too much draft, got tippsy and fell over putting the tip of its spreader into the deck of my Laser.
Rotters...........
So now I got this 2cm wide X 1cm deep ragged hole kinda' just a little too far off to the side of where you might put in an inspection hatch if you needed too. :(
For a hole this size would you: 1.) Grind in a bevel and layer in mat and cloth or---- 2.) Clean out the debris, saturate the edges of the core and then fill it w/thickened epoxy?

Both !

I would grind the bevel in, then seal up the core with resin (no addititives), then fill w/ a mix of chopped up mat and thickened resin. You could leave out the mat if you had to, I just wouldn't use straight resin to fill the whole ding

hoipolloi said:
Seems as though the Taser next to me may have quaffed a little too much draft, got tippsy and fell over putting the tip of its spreader into the deck of my Laser.
Rotters...........
So now I got this 2cm wide X 1cm deep ragged hole kinda' just a little too far off to the side of where you might put in an inspection hatch if you needed too. :(
For a hole this size would you: 1.) Grind in a bevel and layer in mat and cloth or---- 2.) Clean out the debris, saturate the edges of the core and then fill it w/thickened epoxy?

For a 2CM hole grinding laying in cloth and mat etc sounds like overkill. I would go with option # 2 make sure its real dry before you fill and tape over the curing epoxy (use West System) with clear packing tape until hard. If your deck is light grey or white you can get some coloring agent to add to epoxy to get close....

Hi,

I agree that hole sounds tiny, even if she is your pretty baby. Fill it and forget it, Life's too short :) and be thankful that spreader didn't hit you!

The deck is about 3/4" thick, glass top and bottom, foam in between. I'd be sure that spot of the deck was perfectly level when you fill. It may take two fillings, due to some seeping into the foam and shrinkage. I'd use WEST with WEST whitener (if it's white?). This will age a bit browner after a few years.

For a bigger hole, I'd make a patch out of the "hole" someone made for an inspection port. I save mine, whenever I cut a port, so ask around and someone may have one. You could make a nice matching drop in patch, even aligning the non-skid pattern, etc. If I did this, i'd probably glue it in with silicone, because you could squeeze out a bit extra, and knife it off clean after it dries, for a cosmetically nice fix. And silicone stays white forever.

Al Russell 182797

Hey thats not that bad i got a hole in my deck from the hurricanes that was about 26" by 26". But the guy who repaired it made it look like new.

Back