How strict is the measuring for junior ILCA regional events?

tuppence170

I’ve recently started sailing a Laser and am wondering how strict the measuring will be at regional junior events. There’s nothing on my boat that’s been changed that is performance enhancing and I’m pretty sure it’s class legal but can anyone help clear up how strict they’ll be?

I have no idea what the answer is to the title question, but if you have even the slightest doubts about the legality of any technical details on your boat (or someone else’s!), I am totally happy to help :)

_

That question is impossible to answer. It will depend on the inspector and it's my impression that the class rules are not always interpreted the same.
Just go over your boat some time before the event and look at every little detail. Don't forget the big items (spars, sail, boards etc.). Also go over the list of illegal modifications that can be found on the main ILCA website.
Good luck racing and have fun as well.

I guess more what I’m asking (sorry for phrasing this wrong earlier) is do I need all class legal parts for a regional regatta?

do I need all class legal parts for a regional regatta?
Yes you do.

Fundamentally, you need an all-legal boat for every and any regatta at all levels. It’s just less likely that someone notices (or cares) if you have something illegal the farther down the prestige scale an event is.

Asking again, is there something on your boat that you suspect (or know) that is illegal? If so, go ahead and post pictures of the parts in question, and we’ll see if there actually is something wrong!

_

I’m sure all the spars and foils I have are legal, I was just reading some measuring rules and they talked about needing builder’s stickers and so on. Most of the parts I have are quite old (still fast though!) and are missing all the markings they once had, though they were class legal laser parts.

I was just reading some measuring rules and they talked about needing builder’s stickers
If you mean the diagrams on the ILCA website showing the locations of the bar-code IDs, that applies only to parts manufactured in late 2019 or later.

Most of the parts I have are quite old (still fast though!) and are missing all the markings they once had, though they were class legal laser parts.
Shouldn’t be a problem. Equipment doesn’t lose its legality just because it’s old, or even when original markings fade or crumble, or are removed due to ignorance. (Exceptions concern the hull itself.) Most Laser-original parts are quite recognizable after all.

If your blades and spars are fine, what then are the parts that you’re unsure of, the ones with lost markings? It would be easier to help if you were more specific. (And posted pictures :rolleyes: )

_

I second LaLi's post above. I sail a 2015 boat and occasionally go to a 'higher level' event.
Except for the daggerboard, few items on my boat have an ILCA (or Laser) sticker on them. For instance, my (legal) vang is from Harken (no sticker).

Except for the daggerboard, few items on my boat have an ILCA (or Laser) sticker on them.
As said, ”ILCA”-labeled parts have been around only for the last four years. It will take a long time (like, decades) until all otherwise labeled supplies of old stocks are sold out. These include stuff carrying the name ”Laser”, or the manufacturer’s name, or nothing at all. And all will stay bona fide legal, at least until there is an actual rule change.

(Example/fun fact: on the definitely builder-supplied gooseneck on my Standard mast it says nothing but ”England”. Upside down, of course :confused: )

my (legal) vang is from Harken (no sticker).
Stickers on the vang cleating fittings is an even newer thing. For contrast, my Allen fitting had the Laser logo and starburst on the cleat and the fairlead, but they’ve both faded away a long time ago. Never ceased to be legal though :)

_

Back