How much 'play' should there be in the rudder?

Yorkmapper

I just bought a used boat and am refurbishing it. I took the rudder apart, sanded and varnished it. I reassembled the rudder and installed in on the boat to check it. However, there seems to be a lot of play in the rudder as far as fore and aft motion (not side to side). The rudder is the type that has two springs on either side but they are not really engaged and stretching. The rudder is sliding between the metal clamp that attaches it all to the gudgeon on the stern.
Are the springs only engaged in the kicked up position?

Do you have a picture? Is the pin secure in the rudder bracket? If it is secure,it is normal to have some play. Yes, the springs are for bringing the rudder up. I never pull from the tiller but reach back and lift the rudder with my hand. It you pull tiller and the blade snaps up it can split the rudder.

The nut and bolt that goes through the metal bracket and also through the rudder has been tightened, I just don't know how tight to make it.
"pin secure in the rudder bracket" - is this the vertical pin that is spring-loaded on the rudder head? Yes, it snapped in securely.
(unable to upload photo. Maybe too large)

The bolt and nut that go through the aluminium are snug. Do you have the plastic spacers? Mount the rudder and lift the blade with your hand. There should be some.restistance when you lift the blade but you should be able to lift it.

OK, mine looks good. I just did not realize that the rudder would pivot that much within the bracket. Thanks for the pic.

The bolt and nut that go through the aluminium are snug. Do you have the plastic spacers? Mount the rudder and lift the blade with your hand. There should be some.restistance when you lift the blade but you should be able to lift it.
OK good. It is snug and I have the plastic spacers installed.
Thanks!

There should be no fore and aft play. Sounds like you may have stretched springs and/or an elongated cheek bolt hole in the rudder head.

Back