How much is my boat worth?

breadwinner

Hey guys, I am moving and can't take my sunfish with me. I was wondering if you could help me decide on a price to list it at. Thanks

1967 Sunfish with new rudder upgrade. Hiking strap. Deck and bottom repaint in 2008. New lines. 2 inspection ports and race sail (about 4 years old). also comes with a trailer.

thank you so much,

If I was interested, I would want to know if the boat stays dry and the current weight.

With a satisfactory answer to these questions, I would be willing to offer $500, assuming that the trailer is in decent shape and has a legitimate title.

A buyer will ask, What type of paint was used?, what's the quality of the workmanship?, What condition the sail is in?, 4 years old doesn't say much, was it sailed hard? was it only used three times in light air? Has the sail had any repairs? you get my point. There is no substitute for actually examining the boat personally, failing that, lots of photos and thorough descriptions will assist in coming up with a price. What would you or your friends be prepared to pay for the boat?

List it for $600 on Craigslist. You can judge by the number of responses whether you should lower the price $100 after two weeks. Give it a good wax job and post a picture of the hull bottom and sail. Simple as that, you let the market find the maximum price you can get.

Hard to say, the figure will vary depending on how bad someone wants it at the time you are selling. Check out past SF auctions on E-Bay for closing prices. Watch Craigslist a bit to see what they are listing for. In my area fair condition with old style rudder is about $250 ish. New style rudder will probably bump it up $100 at most. Good condition with trailer. . . $650 maybe sounds right for top of market. Really hard to say, does not cost anything but time if you list it too high, you can always come down.

...Pics, pics, pics.....they help out a real lot! When I'm on Craig's list, ( almost every day), I pay attention to the ones with pics. Also a good and honest description sure beats A vague and obvious 1 line sentence. I sometimes I want to reply to these vague ones with a silly offer, just to show them how important it is to peddle your goods.
What Area and what season it is, are key to the asking price. Be patient (if you can). I am thinking that $600 for both might be slightly on the low side. Start a bit higher, and be willing to negotiate. Mention that you will concider negotiations, free delivery, help in setting it up for newbies...... Look at the adds on CL and get ideas.

Good luck,and make sure it goes to a good home.

With the trailer, it does "sound" like a $650 Sunfish. (But I don't know where one would go that couldn't take the Sunfish——OK, Iraq).

It sounds like you have described it fairly already. You can hype it a little by adding "freshwater use only", and add $200. If the trailer is "equipped" and especially nice, see if you can sell it without the trailer—that's how I'd buy my next Sunfish—then sell the trailer! :D

With the trailer, it does "sound" like a $650 Sunfish. (But I don't know where one would go that couldn't take the Sunfish——OK, Iraq).

It sounds like you have described it fairly already. You can hype it a little by adding "freshwater use only", and add $200. If the trailer is "equipped" and especially nice, see if you can sell it without the trailer—that's how I'd buy my next Sunfish—then sell the trailer! :D

Hey "Porpoise 2".....I just bent a spindle on my trailer Wed. putting it in on a lousy ramp! $130 for a new factory axel set up (less the hubs)...yuk. I brought the axel to a local machine shop, he said that he can bend it back for $30. It looks very do-able.
Been out this week? you must have, it was beautiful weather out.

"...I just bent a spindle on my trailer Wed. putting it in on a lousy ramp! $130 for a new factory axel set up (less the hubs)...yuk. I brought the axel to a local machine shop, he said that he can bend it back for $30. It looks very do-able..."
I don't see a problem straightening the axle.

At low water, the ramps will have a drop-off that catches one wheel or the other when the trailer is brought up the ramp. A Florida buddy with a powerful Dodge truck left the entire axle behind!

(But it wasn't at this Florida ramp!)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/KnottyBuoyz/Junk/uhoh.jpg

I don't see a problem straightening the axle.

At low water, the ramps will have a drop-off that catches one wheel or the other when the trailer is brought up the ramp. A Florida buddy with a powerful Dodge truck left the entire axle behind!

(But it wasn't at this Florida ramp!)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/KnottyBuoyz/Junk/uhoh.jpg

I got it back, and it looks good, I don't have a before/after pic, but it was bent about an inch at the end of the spindle.

What is the caption for that fishing boat left on the ramp??!!

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 45
It does look OK, and good luck with it—and that ramp!

The Florida ramp photo had no caption. :confused: I figure the driver took off and the boat simply rolled-off all the rollers that those deep-Vee trailers often have. :cool:

Those may be his headlights in the background as he turns around. :p

Bundled up, I'm still sailing the Sunfish into October—and just sailed it yesterday. The lake is now so low, I can barely reach the boat to lift it back onto the dock!

Back