How hot do the yellow decks get?

SmprFidels

I am considering purchasing a 1977 sunfish with a yellow deck and red hull. I have heard that darker colors get pretty hot in the sun, but I am curious about the yellow. All my previous sunfish have had white decks.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 34
I have heard that darker colors get pretty hot in the sun, but I am curious about the yellow
Moderate, as you might expect.

I had a red deck that would get so hot, when you came about switching sides involved splashing water on deck before sitting.

Swim trunks or cut-off jeans of the olden days didn't help. Now, with surfer shorts and sailing shorts covering to your knees being in vogue it may not be much of an issue.

Yellow should be fine, though interestingly some light shades of grey can be surprisingly hot, this is likely due to their black content. That yellow over red looks nice, very safety oriented colours as well.

I'm going to say it has to do with your lattitude. I use to sail a blue dieck, got a red deck now and never had a problem in Michigan. Aluminum boat in the sun gets hot, SF not.

In Kansas in the summer, dark colored things get to hot to sit on pretty quickly, so it definately depends on your location.

Thanks again,
Matt

Here in south florida I had a Sunfish with a red deck & it got very hot in summer.
With all the older boats I have had here , I have to be aware of the aluminium cockpit trim getting hot , as it can bring a whole new meaning to the "Sunfish brand" !

Back