How do I keep water from getting into the mast tube?

Fred P

Anybody got an idea for keeping water out of the mast tube while the mast is up? (Or even when it's not up.)
I want to use the boat on a salt water beach and leave the mast up with sail and boom attached (sail lowered, of course) when the boat is not in use. I don't want rain water filling the mast tube and keeping the bottom of the mast submerged. Thanks for any help you can give.

Fred

Sorry, but this is not a good idea IMHO. Salt water left from the ocean swells will corrode the mast. Can you rinse off with fresh water before putting the boat away (preferably upside down), or maybe you don't have access to fresh water?

Fresh water in the mast step is only a problem once it freezes, or if you have a leak in the mast tube (not uncommon).

To keep water out of the mast tube one would have to use something that fits perfectly. Even the tiniest of spaces will allow a lot of water to get in during a a good downpour. A (silicone, somewhat flexible) caulking material perhaps? Just a thought....

Wavedancer

I would suggest you inspect the integrity of the base cap first. If your boat has seen a lot of saltwater use, check the very bottom of the mast for corrosion. If there's much I would suggest you remove the base cap and using a tubing cutter, remove the corroded area, typically 3/16". Then reinstall the base cap using 3M 5200 as a sealant. I once had a mast that filled up with water only to realize that it was getting in through a corrision hole at the masts mid point! You mention leaving the the sail rolled up/ lowered and out in the sun for some time. I highly suggest you cover the sail to prevent U.V. damage.

Back