How Competitive Are You?

How Competitive are you when you race your Laser?

• 1 - "Nah, I'm just out for fun"

Votes: 4 7.5%

Votes: 6 11.3%

Votes: 11 20.8%

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • 5 - "Come second and your a Loser."

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

rock steady

How competitive are you when you race your Laser?

Do you think Laser sailors are more competive than other fleets?

rock steady said:
Do you think Laser sailors are more competive than other fleets?

No. At my club the RS200 sailors whinge when they're beaten by Lasers in handicap races, never hear it the other way around though.

The Laser sailing at our club is pretty solid. The top 3rd are very good sailors, a few treading off to Master Worlds every year. The middle 3rd is solid, and the last 3rd are great people out to have fun and learn.

I try hard to do very well, but at the same time, just getting out there is half the fun sometimes. If you race well and finish strong and have FUN, then it's the best of both worlds.

I'm sure to get some flak for this, but it seems to me that a lot of the top sailors come from Laser, Star and Snipe. Just MHO.

snipeguy said:
I'm sure to get some flak for this, but it seems to me that a lot of the top sailors come from Laser, Star and Snipe. Just MHO.

Actually, that makes sense, considering they are 3 of the biggest/oldest one-design classes around.

Yah and it seems that alot of the top laser sailors move up to the star. For example i think Robert Sheidt is borrowing my grandfather's Star for the Miami OCR( but i dont think he is going to do a campaign in the stars for the olympics.

you have to win otherwise there is no point sailing...but lasers are so bloody hard..especially when im a crew not a skipper..pisses me off losing.lol

No point in sailing unless you win? What about the whole joy of being on a boat? What about the beauty of the surroundings? What about the time with your friends? What about the things you learn about yourself?

I'm "4" at least, but wish I could be a 2.....If I start to think people who don't win are losers, please shoot me as I'll deserve it.

Rock Steady knows I enjoy competition, but while the mind is willing, the body now struggles to keep up.

The Laser class should be commended for offering Masters, Grand Masters and Great Grand Masters competition as well as encouraging Youth and Womans Divisions.

One other dimension that might be considered, as it was successfully implemented years ago by the Windsurfer Class, would be Weight Divisions.

While the introduction of the 4.7 and Radial as alternatives to the standard rig do approach this to some extent (providing alternatives that people of different builds can be comfortable and competitive in over a range of conditions), weight divisions at a club level seem to make sense in that people can sail what ever they have, rather than have to buy a new rig.

Weight, height, coordination and obviously fitness all come into play on the Laser. Perhaps in larger regattas, instead of gold and silver fleets they could run with 'light', 'medium' and 'heavy' divisions?

Might be more satisfying for sailors as well.

Hi GLASKY, great to see another Wang Warrior posting in TLF.

The idea of weight divisions is an interesting one, it would be a new concept for sailing in general. I think in a Laser that being heavy is more of an advantage in strong winds, than it is loss in light winds.

Weight divisions are not a bad idea, but then I don't get a chance to beat my heavy assed friends! I am 160, and in a flat water, heavy air (20 knots) regatta this fall, I was competitive upwind. I think the flat water helped, but the point is, I am willing to get hammered occasionally by the big guys for the few times they have the advantage in exchange for the satisfaction of beating them boat for boat on those special days when I've got it all working together.
Another idea is to allow any sailor under a specific weight, say 170 to load up on water bottles or something to get to that weight. Anyone over the weight has to sail with God gave him.

they used to do that with weight jackets but they have been subsequently banned, from what i hear they caused back problems

Back