How can you know if a hull is in good shape?

Good shape in the hull could mean a lot of things. I'll assume that you don't mind a few scratches here and there and just want to know if the hull will function well. The hull is good if its "dry" or doesn't let any water in with normal usage. Any breaches that will let water into the hull are NOT good, especially if they are on the bottom side of the boat. Other than being dry, they only thing you need to look out for is the boat being aesthetically pleasing to you; and only you can be the judge of that! Good luck!

Since the original post was awhile back it might be too late to caution about the weight, but the fiberglass Sailfish ('mkii') hull weight, dry, should be closer to about 100 pounds, I would expect.

Since the original post was awhile back it might be too late to caution about the weight, but the fiberglass Sailfish ('mkii') hull weight, dry, should be closer to about 100 pounds, I would expect.
Thanks for the correction

Weigh the hull; 120-140 lbs means the hull is pretty dry. Which doesn't mean that there are no leaks...
To detect leaks, do the soap bubble test:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/content.php?pg=airtest
To test the mast tube, pour water into it and inspect 30 min (or more) later. The longer, the better, of course

I have always tested a mast tube by doing the soap bubble test. The soap film will cover that mast tube and if there is a leak, it will blow a bubble. I don't like putting water where it could enter the hull.

Back