How best to kick-start my Laser racing?

It has been nearly a decade since I seriously raced a Laser. Yes, I have kept racing in other boats, dinghies and cats. Now want to not embarass myself as a Laser full rig GrandMaster.
What do you sailors think is the best way to get a quick jump start? Yes, I'll be sailing once or twice a week, long days, alone.
Cannot seem to find the racing how-to websites that once existed.
Tampa Bay, Florida area.....

The Laser Forum is the best place to be for Laser sailors! Use the Search feature to find threads on your topic, many with links to other sites with information. You can also post any question and get a friendly answer. In addition, since you are in Florida, there are many winter events. Last year I sailed at Master's Midwinters East at Clearwater in February. I'm pretty new to sailing, and it was a good time. Here's my write up of the event.
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=Master%27s+midwinters+east

Yes, I sailed at Clearwater last weekend. Ian Lineberger let me practice with two Team FOR guys. Meka and Kurt are busy with regattas until later in the Winter. The Florida Masters are in mid-February. Looks like I'll just have to practice solo until then. Having taught and coached the sport (since 1962!) I know that practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't want to hone bad habits!

I have never seriously raced a Laser. Just recreational racing years ago, other boats, other people's boats, and dinghy racing as a kid / teenager. I raced in our District champs (10 boats!) in a borrowed beater, then bought a nice used boat a year ago. If I could reach more races from here, I would be doing it every weekend. I love sailing.

Miss Merrily, I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up last Feb of the MMWE. I've got a nutty idea in the back of my head to go this year. I could keep you company perhaps in the DFL category, although you certainly will be moving up. I showed my wife the white beaches - she didn't think mid-Feb in Florida was all that crazy, so the door is open. Kids have school, y'know, and Nana lives nearby...what the hell!

So, what is your advice for another rusty entrant? What would you recommend, other than sit-ups from now 'til Feb? I would be chartering. I spoke with SailFit, and they are running a little clinic the day before, and the day after the races.

MasterMike said:
So, what is your advice for another rusty entrant? What would you recommend, other than sit-ups from now 'til Feb? I would be chartering. I spoke with SailFit, and they are running a little clinic the day before, and the day after the races.

I'm glad you enjoyed my write up. It was fun writing it and the event was a good time. Clearwater beaches are beautiful and they even comb them for debris every night.

Do walls sits for as many minutes as you can stand it, in addition to your sit ups and regular schedule of aerobics and moderate weight lifting. I'm anxiously waiting to see if I can go to MMWE this year. It's a long story, but if my son gets a job that he's interviewing for today, then I WON'T be going. I hope he gets the job, but boo hoo.

SAILWRITER said:
Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't want to hone bad habits!

The Laser Coach 2000 CD shows you how to execute perfect moves. Also, the Boat Whisperer DVDs are good for high wind techniques.

MasterMike,
If you come down to Clearwater for MMWE bring both a radial and a standard sail. As far as I know rig changing is allowed at this event. We race on the open Gulf and it can get kind of hairy if the wind starts to crank from the W or NW. If you are not used to waves you might be more comfortable in a radial. On the other hand, if it is light you will do just fine in a standard.

Back