homemade traveler

anybody made their own traveler out of coated steel cable or some other material besides rope?

the fish I just bought has a piece of rope for the traveler. I can get a steel one for under $20 but I am the kind of guy who likes to make things and put them to work.

I think he wants to be "correct" which I can understand, I did the same thing, as mine came with two travelers in place, one was a real long rope that was falling apart, and the other was a real beat up three loop cable, which also had a rusty clip on one end. I wanted it to be better, so I removed everything and went to a normal 2 loop cable.

anybody made their own traveler out of coated steel cable or some other material besides rope?

the fish I just bought has a piece of rope for the traveler. I can get a steel one for under $20 but I am the kind of guy who likes to make things and put them to work.

The Spectra - and similar - lines are typically stronger and more durable than any cable traveler you might buy or make. If you are doing this to save a few bucks, I'd be inclined to just use a few feet of that. A homemade cable traveler and a 31 inch rope one get you to the same place as far as "legality" - OK at most clubs but not class sanctioned - so I,d go with the functional solution.

Back