Homemade Trailer Racks

i have one at my club. really all you need is two beams that are secured well with some padding on the bars so you dont hurt the hull of the laser. but you can attach it to a jet ski trailer. pretty easily. i would just look at the seitech one to get an idea of what to do first though

I had a similar need - transporting/storing both a Sunfish and Laser. My trailer is set up to carry the Sunfish deck down, and I wanted to fly the Laser above it, suspended from the gunwales like the trailex and kitty hawk trailers.

The metal frame at the back of the trailer is 50" wide which is just perfect for the Laser width, and wider than the Sunfish. I bought solid metal rod stock, and heavy-wall metal tubing and had someone weld pieces together for me to make a pair of upside-down "U's". The legs of the "U's" slide into two tubes welded to the frame of the trailer on each side.

I then made a post for the front of the trailer and bolted it into position. I bought the bow piece (welded aluminum) from Trailex that goes on their trailer, and bolted it to the post. Both the "U's" and the top edge of the bow piece are 40" high off the frame of the trailer.

I recently had the need to carry two Lasers, and this worked very well - I had to carry the bottom Laser backward to fit, which was no problem. Check out the photo and my initial concept drawing (in reality, I changed the diameters of the metal components based on what I could purchase locally at a reasonable cost). If this approach will work with your trailer and you need more detailed construction instructions, send me an email at [email protected]

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Trailer.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 103
my local yc has one of these and its really nice for lasers especially because you can put them on upside down and then bungee the spars to the sides or something.

OK,

We decided to go with two boat capacity instead of 3. The photo attached shows the trailer with rack, still needing carpet for the lower section blocks - Sunfish rightside-up, carpet for top cross pieces - Laser upside-down, and rubber nose blocks, etc. for the post in the front. Pretty basic design, now we're also trying to figure out how to make the dollies.

paint_001.jpg

Back