Homemade Trailer Racks

I found these on the internet. Hope they are useful.

Attachments

• IMG_8472 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_8472 1024x768.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8476 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_8476 1024x768.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 103
Those pictures are of my trailer. If you search for my postings from "bertocci" you should be able to find additional fairly high resolution photos. If you have any questions feel free to email.

I looked up Unistrut and it looks interesting. There are quite a lot of choices. Are there any dimensions or grades that you would recommend?

I also have a double trailer made out of cut up broken mast sections. One reason that I prefer the triple wooden trailer is that there are far fewer sharp corners and edges. I'm not sure if that would be an issue with Unistrut.

Sorry can't recommend one. I would have to look at the selection - but this is my project for this winter when I can't sail...there are still some sailing days left, hence I have not started yet. Your ahead of me by about 3 months in trailer building..

I also think design and size depends on how much the trailer is being towed..just across town and used mainly for storage or cross-country.

I use it at work but that is industrial. It is strong. Yea the sharp edges would need to be covered..I will use that plastic paint you can dip handles into to cover the rough edges.

Visit Yahoo! Groups sunfish_sailor and you will find lots of information regarding building racks for hauling Sunfish and *L**** class boats. There are A-frames, two-boat racks, three-boat racks, more than that, and all kinds of different trailer platforms discussed. A jet-ski trailer could easily handle 3 boats, their rigs, their blades, a box to store stuff, and more. Just be sure to check the tongue weight and load balance so you are able to pick up the tongue when fully loaded yet not have fishtailiing. Good luck with your winter project. My triple needs repair and already is in the shed for the winter, so I can't provide photos. The rack is all wood.

Ditto on Gail's previous post. Here are the photos of the "unistrut or scaffolding" framed trailer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Where did you get the corner brackets? I can't seem to find them anywhere, except for Kia Clamps, which cost $15.00 each.

The Photos are from another sailor's post on the Sunfish Sailor Yahoo Site. There is a comment "all the parts can be found at Home Depot". Hope this helps.

Just looked at this thread and saw pics of my trailer - here are the specifics:
The fittings are from the Mc Master Carr Catalog http://www.mcmaster.com/ see bottom of page 1862.
The 8 corners are 90 degree elbows w/ 3 outlets P/N 4698T112 @ $9.55 each
The Tees are 3 outlet Tees P/N 4698T92 @ $10.05 each
I like the Aluminum fittings - the cast iron ones are a little less.
The posts are galvanized chain link fence top rails from Lowes / HD and are around $10 each.
You will also need 4 U-Bolts to hold it to the trailer plus I replaced the corner set screws with bolts because they kept slipping. The foam pads are big pool noodles (put these on before assembly and you will not have to slit them).
So for just under $250 you can build this rig. We have used this setup to travel for several years all over the SW Region and have had no problems at all carrying 2 boats and 2 dollys- it works great and goes together like Tinker Toys (do they still make those?) we had back in the 60's. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.
C.P. Burks
dinghyone at att dot net
817-266-7816

Dinghyone,

Thanks for the info on the trailer. I've been looking to copy your design, but I had no idea where to find the fittings.

Mark

Back