Holding your own on the start line

laser170654 said:
What type of things or techniques can help you
maintain a good hole on a start line for about a minute!
Thanks
:rolleyes:

Well, take advice from Skipper Johnson if you dare but...Let's say everyone is at the starboard end, reach up from port end and cross behind the pack that are milling about, tack where you see a hole. If you get the timing right, you will hit the line at speed and with a whole to leeward.

you usually have to time it right and backing the sail and keeping your bow pointed into the wind usually help.

Stay on your toes incase you have to back out of a hole if you are too early. Also defend your space to leeward like mad. And learn how to tack on the spot (easier said than done!). Glaring at others works well too!!!

i defiantley agree that you should stay on your toes becasue if you don't you could end up in a very tighjt spot. and its always better to pull out earlier than later.

and its always better to pull out earlier than later.[/QUOTE]

I REALLY want to ad a smart ass remark here. Soooooo, badly.

Anyway, back to the topic. Here's what I do. In a big event I let the rock stars fight for the favored end. I will usually find a spot that is just right or left of the middle of the line on the favored side of the line. You've got a few things working for you here. 1) mid line sag, 2) usually not a lot of folks trying to cram in to leeward of you, 3) better shot at a front row spot which means clear air for the weather leg and more freedom for the side of the course you want.

For club races and smaller venues I'll fight for the favored end which means more of a timed run/ luff down the line always defending my leeward side. You just have to have a good time on the line and keep forward momentum going a little so you can manuver.

I got the 'mid line sag' the other time.. I am not sure whether that was called mid line sag.. I only know that before the 5 minute start signal, my boat was somewhere near committee boat where I estimated I should be able to go close to the start line in time.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise strong current that was drifting boats away from the line. So in consecutive 2 races, I repeated the same mistake by unable to sail up to the line in time before the race started.

laser170654 said:
What type of things or techniques can help you
maintain a good hole on a start line for about a minute!
Thanks
:rolleyes:

A good idea is to capsize on the line about 45 seconds before the start. This will give you a huge hole to leeward, protect your position and give enough time to get the boat up and sail away.

Skipper Johnson said:
A good idea is to capsize on the line about 45 seconds before the start. This will give you a huge hole to leeward, protect your position and give enough time to get the boat up and sail away.
your words of wisdom inspire me skipper j.
are you from melbourne florida or australia.

Hey Skip,
Quit giving away my top secert tactics.... the other one I like to use is the out of control plane down the line, it is especially helpful to have a look of panic on your face while babbling incoherently. It's amazing how fast the hot shots try to get out of your way.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Ok, here's a dumb question. I'm new to this, so cut me a break. Why do you want a hole to leeward? Don't you want to get out of bad air, which means don't have boats to windward of you???

Hello Laub,
The reason you want a hole to Leeward is so you can foot off and accelerate just before the gun. If another boat is right next (leeward of you) to you, you have to give them room and keep clear.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

fishingmickey said:
the other one I like to use is the out of control plane down the line, it is especially helpful to have a look of panic on your face while babbling incoherently. It's amazing how fast the hot shots try to get out of your way.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

:D :D :D I LIKE THIS ONE!!!! Bet you are the best Oscar male actor of the sailing world!!! A look of panic :eek:

fishingmickey said:
Hey Skip,
Quit giving away my top secert tactics.... the other one I like to use is the out of control plane down the line, it is especially helpful to have a look of panic on your face while babbling incoherently. It's amazing how fast the hot shots try to get out of your way.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

If I did this, no one would notice any difference to my standard sailing! In my last race (see The Hermanator thread) I went into an uncontrolled gybe and sailed straight at another guy who had to duck and consequently missed his buoy

mee168 said:
Oh dear... skipper johnson.. Any boat damage? Any protest on you?

Nah...the trick is to do it about 3 minutes before the gun before the gurus have started trying to get the best spot. Then take the next 2:30 pretending you dont now how to right the boat. Because the sail is in the water you've got heaps of room to leeward. Anyone threatens to come windward of you, act like your about to right the boat too far and capsize to windward. This should give you plenty of space. If anyone protests I would say in front of everyone back on shore - "So this is the way you treat beginners who capsize, by threatening protesting, what sort of club is this!"

back on topic....ahem....

staying in one spot is an art with any boat, especially a laser. The trick is that you don't really stay in one spot, you have to create a controlled drift. That way, you aren't moving forward but still have steerage. this is how people tend to go down the line. The best way to get a hole below you is to find a hole about 2-3 widths long, so that there's room for you to bear away but a small enough hole that anyone who tries to come in can be fended off with a twitch of the rudder.

Back