hoisting Laser into the water with a sling

Merrily

Administrator
I've been trailering my Laser to the ramp at my sailing club, but had a nasty fall on the slick algae. The club has a hoist for putting boats in the water and it seems pretty easy. Of course, all the sailors that use it have boats such as Interlakes, Lidos, or Thistles that have holes for hoisting ropes. Someone has suggested that I make a sling for my Laser to get it into the water with the hoist and avoid the ramp altogether. Has anybody tried this? It seems like it would be hard to find a balance point and also hard to keep the boat from sliding around. Any thoughts?

Janet

I have an Interlake and it is easy to put it into the water with a hoist. You don't have to deal with the nasty wooden ramps that get slipery when you don't have any shoes on. I think it would be kinda hard to rig up a sling for a laser since it does not have any pick up points. It is bad for the hull if you pick it up by undernith of it. So I say for a laser, stick with the nasty ramps, they seem to work the best and it is better than useing two blocks of carpeted wood to lift it up a break wall.

-43575-

43575 said:
I have an Interlake and it is easy to put it into the water with a hoist. You don't have to deal with the nasty wooden ramps that get slipery when you don't have any shoes on. I think it would be kinda hard to rig up a sling for a laser since it does not have any pick up points. It is bad for the hull if you pick it up by undernith of it. So I say for a laser, stick with the nasty ramps, they seem to work the best and it is better than useing two blocks of carpeted wood to lift it up a break wall.

-43575-

There's no problem with the break wall, the hoist moves the boat out beyond it. Would it really be that bad for the hull to suspend it for a minute, with pressure points right in front of the centerboard and close to the transom?

why not use 2 straps in the places you just mentioned, a strap cant hurt your hull that much seeing as how seitech uses a strap on their dollys

It could work, but you would not be able to set your mast on land. You would have to do it when the boat is in the water.

-43575-

43575 said:
It could work, but you would not be able to set your mast on land. You would have to do it when the boat is in the water.

-43575-

Why is that? Those other boats at the club are put into the water fully rigged. The webbing of the sling would be attached to ropes that meet behind the mast. I guess this is the question: How hard would it be to get the whole thing balanced so it doesn't slide here or there?

Stepping the mast whle the boat is in the water is not that difficult, especially if you are a couple of feet above the water-level. I would not hoist the boat with the mast on it, because you will not only have the mast, but a sail as well, which will, for sure, sooner or later get damaged.
I have hoisted my laser with straps and it is pretty easy once you have figured out where to put them. Don't put them too far apart, because then it is more likely that they will not stay in place (because of forces such as gravity).
Good Luck!

Yes, but are the sails up on the other boats when the launch from the hoist? Remember, the Laser has no haylard. It would only take a small breeze to flip the Laser right in and out of the straps if you tried it w/the rig in.

Rob B said:
Yes, but are the sails up on the other boats when the launch from the hoist? Remember, the Laser has no haylard. It would only take a small breeze to flip the Laser right in and out of the straps if you tried it w/the rig in.

?? Isn't that what I just wrote???

Merrily said:
...trailering my Laser to the ramp at my sailing club, but had a nasty fall on the slick algae. ... Any thoughts?

Janet

Janet,
in my opinion the best would be: cleaning of the ramp. Rigging the Laser always on land and if the wind is right (does not come from the aft side), launching the Laser with the dolly. If the Laser comes from the backside, also rigging as usual but do not schackle the brummlehook for the sheet. etc...

Cheers
Ludwig

Gerard said:
Stepping the mast whle the boat is in the water is not that difficult, especially if you are a couple of feet above the water-level. I would not hoist the boat with the mast on it, because you will not only have the mast, but a sail as well, which will, for sure, sooner or later get damaged.
I have hoisted my laser with straps and it is pretty easy once you have figured out where to put them. Don't put them too far apart, because then it is more likely that they will not stay in place (because of forces such as gravity).
Good Luck!

No. that was not at all what you had written. Nothing about a haylard or the boat flipping in the hoist with a breeze, (which is what my post said). The way your post reads your concern seems to be that the sail would get damaged. I'm referring to the whole boat. Given the nature of the posts from the person with the question I figured a more detailed explanation to the dangers would be prudent.

Back