hitting a wall

lasereng

Hi All,

I race regularly but for the last year I really doubt I have made any improvement at all which is frustrating me more and more. has anybody else ever hit a point like this and if so what did you do/what should i do to get over it????

Thanks

Get some quality coaching or attend a class orgainsed training day.

Sailing and racing on your own will only get you so far.

I have been racing Lasers for around 13 years now. I recently attended a coaching day with a top UK coach and learnt a lot.

One of the other things that also improved my sailing was traing to be an RYA Dinghy Instructor. It forces you to examine your technique and iron out any imperfections.

First, Stay positive if you go into a race thinking you are going to do poorly you will!

Set goals and take steps to achieve them,

Get in the boat as much as possible, time on water is extremely valuable,

if you can have someone video tape you, a video and sometimes even pictures can help a great deal with troubleshooting

if you can the right coaching that will help

check you boat and rigging to make sure everything is in order, if your rigging is off it can get you frustrated, if your boat leaks or is waterlogged you're at a disadvantage, if your sail is old it might be slow

One thing that we do in our fleet is post race discussion and winners talk, it makes everyone who participates stronger, talk to the top guys and ask them what they are doing, most of them will be glad to talk about their technique and strategy

thanks for the tips!! i also thought doing a few more opens to throw myself out of the comfort zone would help and it has really rekindled my zest to be at the top of the fleet!!

Going out of your comfort zone always helps. I find (because I don't do many open events) that I always sail badly at my clubs Laser open meeting.

It may be a psychological thing but racing the same guys week in and week out means you get to know what they will do in any given situation so when you come across someone new you tend to over analyse or spend too much time thinking about what they might do!

Back