Hiking Strap

acs026

What is the best way to install a hiking strap? I dont have a port to be able to put a backing on it. Was wanting some info and experience to help me figure out safest way to do it.

thanks

Add the port. A hiking strap needs the reinforcement behind the fiberglass cockpit wall. Other wise you're talking about screws holding several hundred pounds of force in about 3/16" thickness of fiberglass.

You didn't mention the year of your Sunfish. If it has the cubby in the back, you only need the one port (6") between the splashrail and dagger board well. If it does not have a cubby, you will need another (4") port in the rear wall of the cockpit. And don't forget backing plates. I used some flat aluminum I got at the big box store.

P-1 - 4" port in rear wall.
P-2 - Inside view of 4" port, note foam blocks.
P-3 - Inside view of backing plate (front mount). Dagger board well is on the right side of the photo

Attachments

• m_IMG_1183a.jpg
    m_IMG_1183a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 50
  • m_IMG_1172a.jpg
    m_IMG_1172a.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 49
  • m_IMG_1186a.jpg
    m_IMG_1186a.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 41
I do have the storage in the cockpit it is a 72 fish. Once I cut the hole in the front between the daggerboard and the splashrail, I will still have enough room to get around where the daggerboard goes to install the backing? do I need to worry about a backing at the rear of the cockpit?

Acs,

It is only about 18" from the center of the port (between the splash rail and dagger board) with plenty of room inside. At the rear, you will be attaching to the lower lip of the cubby and will be drilling thru both the front and back of the lip as in diagram #1 (upper side and front view) of the above link (lower side view is of a factory installation of the rear point).Try to keep the bolts centered where they come thru the rear side of the lip so a washer (or narrow plate) can be added for backing. I would use 2 eye straps (one each side) to spead the load over the widest area.

Back