Hiking Strap Installation Help

Glen

I need to take out an old hiking strap, and replace it with a new one.

What should i do? Detailed instructions please, i dont want to ruin anything.

What kind of stuff should i use to fill the holes to make sure its water proof?

What can i do to make sure that the screws wont come out while im sailing?(this happend to me once and it wasnt fun)

Help!!!!!

Re: Hiking Strap Instillation Help

Buy a new strap. Take the old one off and install the new one the same way the old one was. Use marine calk to seal the screw holes and you're done. The hardest part is taking the mainsheet block off. Should take 20 minutes.

Glen, as Rob said above, it's really not that hard. if your concerned about strenght and holding power of the newly installed strap try this;

1 - remove the mainsheet block and all the old hardware holding the old strap in.
2 - with a drill bit, enlarge the holes that the two hiking strap screws were in.
3 - fill those same holes with 2-part marine grade epoxy. follow directions on the package carefully, allow a full day for dry time
3 - drill a pilot hole (several times smaller then the actual screw you will use
4 - coat screws with 3M 5200 marine silicone sealant (this stuff is awesome)
5 - replace strap, block and all other hardware.
6 - let sit for 1/2 day, then go sailing!
7 - never worry about your hiking strap again

-skip

Braecrest said:
6 - let sit for 1/2 day, then go sailing!
-skip

Skip, are you sure about letting the 5200 cure for only 1/2 day? The package says it needs 7 days in 70 degrees. I realize that the screws are what's supposed to be holding this together, but still...

Hi,

5200 is good, silicone is ok.

If your new strap has a sewn loop in the forward end, you might put the white plastic block into the loop, so the strap goes all around the plastic piece.

A second choice is to slide an aluminum nail (from a pop rivet) into the loop, at the most forward position, then put the plastic piece on the strap, just behind the nail. That way the strap can never pull out.

Al Russell 182797

Although I agree 5200 is good for this application (bedding a screw), you should be carefull using it. 5200 is a permanent adhesive, or at a minimum very difficult to remove. If you use too much 5200 and it gets on your hiking strap it will attach it to the deck permanently. I prefer to use 4200 in most situations. I would advise against drilling the holes out as Breacrest suggests. If your holes are stripped fill them with a mixture of two part epoxy and finely cut up fiberglass, let dry and drill a pilot hole. Your pilot hole should be only slightly smaller than the shank of the screw. Drilling too small a pilot hole will cause the resin to crack when the new screw is installed and reduce the strenght. IMO drilling the holes out to a larger size and filling is weaker than simply filling them. My reasoning is that the uniformity of the drilled out hole increases the risk that your repair will pop out. Ive also seen people just break a toothpick off in the stripped out hole and install a new screw. Not very high tech, but if you are in a rush to get back on the water it works. I'd still use 4200 or 5200 with the toothpick method to prevent leaks.

Back