Hiking Strap/Boot interface

Tentmaker
Taking the Zhik thought a little further, anybody ever try a velcro combo on the bottom of the hiking strap/ top of the boot ? Legal ?

I've got an old pair of boots, old strap and lots of velcro kicking around (and obviously too much sprare time after work :) )

49208 said:
Taking the Zhik thought a little further, anybody ever try a velcro combo on the bottom of the hiking strap/ top of the boot ? Legal ?

I've got an old pair of boots, old strap and lots of velcro kicking around (and obviously too much sprare time after work :) )
Greg,
nice idea. :)
I had a look to our rules. Like me, you now the saying: "anything the rules do not extra allow, is forbitten". But in our case I personally think it is not forbitten to race with velcro.

The rules (By-Law 1/Part three: No 17(a) ) do not tell us something about, what sort the surface of the "padding" should have.

For the surface of the "clothing&equipement" see By-Law 1/Part three: No 6 (b). I´m to stupid in translation to understand the words: "Competitors shall not wear or carry NON FLOATING clothing and equipement ...".
Hope this helps a bit
LooserLu

LooserLu said:
I´m to stupid in translation to understand the words: "Competitors shall not wear or carry NON FLOATING clothing and equipement ...".
LooserLu

Lu,
I read that to mean all your racing clothing and equipment must float.
Janet

The rules are pretty c;ear about the conce[pt of "can't do it unless it specifically says you can."

The Velcro or any other brand of hook and loop product would be "creating a fitting" whose purpose is to "cleat" your foot to the hiking strap.

Personally, I have a problem with big thick hiking pants, hiking boots and a lot of other stuff but...I like big fleets and lots of " fill in your own term for persons whose goal in life is not to suffer needlessly" would not join me on the race course if they were too uncomfortable to play.

gouvernail said:
...The Velcro or any other brand of hook and loop product would be "creating a fitting" whose purpose is to "cleat" your foot to the hiking strap...

Thanks (Gouvernail and Merrily), thats what I supposed, but not was able to translate in my poor English for runaways.

All I know is, "to float" is in German used to describe the movement of fluids {like that NaCl-fluid (sweat) heavy weighted Laserites (like me) normally get on their skin under big thick hikingpants, hiking boots and a lot of other stuff, if they despairing try to point their Dinghies in heavy air with snaking-technology through the big waves, to reach fast the windward mark...;) }
LooserLu

i think velcro would be too restrictive for movement

i.e. if you went to tack and didnt 'un-velcro' your feet properly, it could be a very spectacular and painful crash (tripping face first onto the deck, probably smashing your knees on the edge of the cockpit in the process

the zhik rubber is all the 'locking in' your would need and its no more bulky than a normal strap and boot setup

gouvernail said:
The Velcro or any other brand of hook and loop product would be "creating a fitting" whose purpose is to "cleat" your foot to the hiking strap.

Dear Gouv,

Do you have the rules number for "creating a fitting" handy?

Merrily

Hi Laserites,

I work for Zhik.

First time on the forum believe it or not. I find it interesting to hear comments about the Zhik gear. So far the hiking strap has been a favourite.

Just to let you guys know, the rubber strip has a couple of special properties. First, we had to make sure the compound built a more durable rubber, second we made a tread to match the Zhik boots.

You will find many boots on the market, and they will all have different grip characteristics. The differences are huge, and if you want to maximise the benefits, test a few out.

I'm looking forward to the future though, as more of you sail in our other Zhik innovations.

Sincerely

Brian Conolly

Back