Hiking Stick Upgrade

signal charlie

Staff member
Added a hiking stick to a long tiller we made, decided to trim 4 inches off tiller refinish wood along the way. I found out a small pair of vice grips work great ro reinstall rudder springs. Used Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss to finish wood, it's real easy to apply and clean up, but is not a super hard finish.

Then went for a sail, wife gave it the seal of approval.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: tag
Added a hiking stick to a long tiller we made, decided to trim 4 inches off tiller refinish wood along the way. I found out a small pair of vice grips work great ro reinstall rudder springs. Used Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss to finish wood, it's real easy to apply and clean up, but is not a super hard finish.

Then went for a sail, wife gave it the seal of approval.
Thank you for the tip on the vice grips. No more needlenose pliers for this operation! Anyone know of a slicker way to do this than using brute force? Those springs have some power - I always feel like something horrible will happen when doing this.
BTW - I have used Pettit Captain's varnish for this and it is some miracle stuff. It goes on perfectly with a foam brush and looks great on the mahogany.

You'll feel better using the vice grips, and you'll have more control. If I could invent a spring tool and patent it I could retire! We have also used whipping line tied around the end loop to pull a spring on, but that digs into your hand.

Thank you for the tip on the vice grips. No more needlenose pliers for this operation! Anyone know of a slicker way to do this than using brute force? Those springs have some power - I always feel like something horrible will happen when doing this.

Back