Hiking Position

Suppose its easy to assume you simply adjust body position/ strap tension until you find what works, but this is proving strangely elusive, even after several races. I have done plenty of work on abs and quads, but seem to feel pretty awkward and soon tire no matter what I try. Possibly I'm overcautious to protect a vulnerable back - but if any one has any pictures/diagrams/ ideas for effective but hassle-free (well, almost!) hiking would appreciate your posts. a) Upwind and b) Reaching.
Thanks for any help,
R

Give us a description of your quad and ab work, be specific with excersizes, time spent and frequency(ie how many times a week). Give us some clues as to what is tiring. Is it quads burning, low back hurting and after how long spent hiking

Also, you mention a vulnerable back - does it preclude do hyper-extensions or supermans ? Without a strong lower back to balance your abs, your core stability will be amiss and you won't be able to hike for long.

1) "Plenty" is never enough! Plus, there's static endurance vs maximal effort, which require some different methods in the gym. I know, as I'm fighting the battle to build endurance. Also, try relaxing your toes. I found I was curling mine, and this led to early fatigue.
2) Hiking strap length is crucial. Go out on a day when you just start to hike, and adjust until the edge of the deck is in the middle of your hiking pant battens and your feet are pointed. Too tight, and you exhaust your quads fighting the strap and the deck. Too loose, and you don't transfer your bodyweight effectively.
3) Steve Cockerill reviews this, although perhaps not sufficiently, in Upwind Boat Whisperer DVD. Certainly, it's the best picture and description of the proper position.

How tall are you?
I am 6foot 1.
I don't fully use the hiking strap. I can sit so the bones in my butt are hanging over the side of the boat. With my legs stretched, i can reach put my feet under the hiking strap, and kinda grip that plastic lip (toerail ?) that runs along the inside of the cockpit. I grip that with my toes.
Because my butt bones are outside of the boat, i guess quite a large proportion of my body weight is too. I then just lean out as much as required. But i'm pretty lazy. I dont go out to anything like horizonal.
My laser sailing buddy can dip her hair in the water when hiking. I cant do that. But my method of hiking suits my lazy style!
I also weigh 80 kilos.

Thanks for the tips.
The video is well worth a study - RS has an incredibly loose strap whereas the Spanish guy's are tight. They make it look easy, grrr.

Give us a description of your quad and ab work.
I do most of the Ron Rosenberg exercises - except leg lift, but do supermans - about once a week (ok, hands up, that's not "plenty"). Used to do it 3-4 times a week. Also do a weekly pilates session.

Give us some clues as to what is tiring.
Abs get sore, and quickly. Biggest problem is feeling awkward and uncomfortable, so seems a technique issue as much as fitness.

Oh yes i forgot to mention - she has hair down to her ankles.
The number of times i've had to untangle it from the vang....................

I have hair ON my ankles, but fortunately it's not long enough to get tangled in anything. ;)

I do most of the Ron Rosenberg exercises - except leg lift, but do supermans - about once a week (ok, hands up, that's not "plenty"). Used to do it 3-4 times a week. Also do a weekly pilates session.

Abs get sore, and quickly. Biggest problem is feeling awkward and uncomfortable, so seems a technique issue as much as fitness.

Hate to say it, but you are correct, one or two days a week is not enough to increase endurance and/or strength - that's more a maintainance routine. You might consider working up to 3 or 4 days working the core (only needs to be 20 minutes between abs and back)

If you can get on a hiking bench 3 times a week, that would help too. If not, consider riding a bike 3 or 4 times a week, anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on the type of racing you want to do.

You didn't mention your age and weight, so it's hard to comment on feeling awkward and uncomfortable, I can tell you that is exactly how a large portion of the masters age sailors feel in a Laser until they increase their training and flexibility.

Back