Hiking Pants

whirlwind2

I need to buy hiking pants for Laser PCCs and have tried on several pair. The battens of the one that seems to fit best make sitting down difficult as they poke into the back of my knees. Is this what they are supposed to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

no

if they fit prefect when you try em on, their too big, buy the smaller size down, because when they get soaking wet they will swell and get bigger and slide down

I need to buy hiking pants for Laser PCCs and have tried on several pair. The battens of the one that seems to fit best make sitting down difficult as they poke into the back of my knees. Is this what they are supposed to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

The battens are not supposed to poke into the backs of your knees, and that becomes unbearable really quickly. Battens come in different sizes too. To see if the hiking pants fit, pull them up as much as you can and tighten the suspender thingies so that they can't slide down. This is how you will wear them when sailing. Then sit or squat down. If the battens stick into the backs of your legs then, keep looking. As Ross B said, you want them tight, but obviously, not so tight that you can't maneuver, and you shouldn't be in pain!

Thanks. I'm still looking for hiking pants that fit, but I'm not sure if I will wear them for Laser PCCs since they won't fit over my wet suit and it's going to be really cold. What is the typical gear worn on the San Francisco Bay?

What is the typical gear worn on the San Francisco Bay?

Well, I don't live here, but have been "visiting" for a couple of months. I sailed at Treasure Island and at St. Francis YC. The water temp is in the mid 50's. Everyone was wearing hiking pants, a high tech shirt, and dinghy smock. I don't know if they were wearing any kind of high tech liner under their hiking pants. I tend to run cold, so I wore my Under Armor long underwear top and bottom, a heavy high tech shirt, hiking pants and dinghy smock. I didn't capsize, so I can't tell you how effective it would be in beating the cold, but I'm sure it would have been fine.

Or you could buy hikers with removable adjustable batons/ pads such as the Rooster Pro Hikers see.... http://www.jdemarine.com/prohikers.htm
I have a pair of these and they are great..you can just the pads to just where you need them and the pads are available in a few sizes so you can pick the ones you need.

Or you could buy hikers with removable adjustable batons/ pads such as the Rooster Pro Hikers see.... http://www.jdemarine.com/prohikers.htm
I have a pair of these and they are great..you can just the pads to just where you need them and the pads are available in a few sizes so you can pick the ones you need.

What size pads did you get and what is your normal pants length size ? If possible, can you measure and post the actual length of the pads ?

I bought a pair of the pads, can't remember the size, based on the sizing chart and the pads are too long for me (cut into the back of my knees) - I'll post the size and length of mine later...

My pads are the large ones 28 cms high 18.5 cm wide at top...16 cm at bottom (tapered width) my pants (or 3/4 length shorts as we call them here in blighty) are 52 cm from crotch to bottom of leg and are a large size.

I'm 6' 2" (mostly my legs) with a 36 inch waist (mostly latent stomach muscles- so latent that they are non existant!! LOL) the pads can be moved up and down on the velcro cloth they fix on...it marks its position so its easy to put them back in the same place when you've dried them and the pads seperately.

I tried on a number of pant before the adjustable one came along most didn't feel right...I believe Magic Marine also do a pair with similar adjustable battons too now..you pays your money and makes your choice....

I've got the Med Rooster pads - they are 26.5 cm long and I'm 5'10" (usually wear a 31" length pants. I found the pads at least 2.5cm too long for me, they would be better 4 cm shorter for my build.

They are 3cm longer then the pads in my size Large SEA airprene hikers which work perfectly for me.

Back