high wind roll tacking

crazysailor

i went sailing today in 30 knot winds and i found that my boat didn't roll unless i made it, but when i leand to give it roll it capsized. is there any technique i'm not picking up on or is it just lack of practice in high winds.

Sincerely
Crazy Sailor.

Where were you sailing ?

In 30kts, you do not roll tack. There is no need.
There is a huge need to look for the flatest water to tack in, and to move quickly across the deck and get fully hiked out, while sheeted out.

yah i dont normally go sailing in 30 knt winds cause im not quite heavy enough but it is really important to make the tack as smooth and quick as possible not necessarily to accelerate out of a tack like a roll takc would help you do.

You should be roll-tacking until you are depowering the sail some. In high winds, just make sure you don't tack into a wave, but just over one so you don't stop dead.

roll tack, roll tack, roll tack

theres a good article on rooster sailing.com about it

you just need to learn to roll without capsizing because if you don.t turbulence will still be created and slow you down and so you become more prone to capsizing

The purpose of the roll tack in light wind is to try and come out of the tack with more speed than when you went in on it. In high winds its faster just to keep the boat flat at all times and the cost of flipping over is never worth it. Like they said in previous post find a flat spot and maybe a lull if need be to complete the tack successfully.

jamesfreedman said:
The purpose of the roll tack in light wind is to try and come out of the tack with more speed than when you went in on it. ---snip---

You didn't really mean to say it exactly that way, since that would subject you to being protested for breaking rule 42...

Ok, you all are quteing rules, how do i look up to see what that rule 42 states, and where can i read to see more rules?

Thanks

Some rolling in a heavy-wind tack is okay. A gentle roll to leeward will help spin the boat through the tack without much need to use the rudder. If the boat stays at the same angle, you can come out heeling to windward on the new tack which makes bearing away faster and more reliable.

I always find the main thing in a heavy air tack is really working on shoving hard with the legs (feet agtainst cockpit side) to get straight out into a full hike on the new tack.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back