Hiding gelcoat repair

johnhuff

So I did a big whoopsie the other day and messed up my aluminum trim and put a big scratch in the top deck. The trim section is an easy enough replacement. The scratch is right where you sit when hiking so to me it is worth repairing as well, at least for functionality and protecting the fiberglass.

I doubt I could get a very good color match, and I have a can of white gelcoat already. I was thinking of just filling it in with white gelcoat and sanding it flush, but it would look quite ugly. I'm thinking maybe it could be cute to do some kind of stencil or something with a design that would serve to hide the repair. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Any other advice is welcome. Attached pics.

Edit: on second thought, maybe I should just try for a color match?

Attachments

• PXL_20240519_031024716.jpg
    PXL_20240519_031024716.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20240519_031028608.jpg
    PXL_20240519_031028608.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20240519_031048615.jpg
    PXL_20240519_031048615.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 45
So I did a big whoopsie the other day and messed up my aluminum trim and put a big scratch in the top deck. The trim section is an easy enough replacement. The scratch is right where you sit when hiking so to me it is worth repairing as well, at least for functionality and protecting the fiberglass.

I doubt I could get a very good color match, and I have a can of white gelcoat already. I was thinking of just filling it in with white gelcoat and sanding it flush, but it would look quite ugly. I'm thinking maybe it could be cute to do some kind of stencil or something with a design that would serve to hide the repair. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Any other advice is welcome. Attached pics.

Edit: on second thought, maybe I should just try for a color match?
I think you should try.

Here's a couple of resources for you on matching gelcoat color. The first is, "There's A Hole In My Boat" 8 part series by Andy from Boatworks Today. The section on matching gelcoat color starts on the 5th video in the series.

The second resource is a mere mortal (me) going through the process of matching the gelcoat color of the bow area of my Laser after fixing an old repair from the previous owner. I primarily used the process I learned from Andy's Boatworks Today gelcoat matching videos.

Let me just say that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. But I think you should do it. Just be patient. Because that scratch and the booboo that caused it will haunt you until you at least try to make it less noticeable.

Although it took a while, I finally did create a perfect color match. So good that 2 of my sailing buddies upon examining my repair at the boat ramp couldn't tell where the repair ended and where the original gelcoat began.

Cheers,

- Andy

Back