Hi Everyone

rusticpixi

Hi all ....

My name is Paul Turner and as of today I've joined you to discuss and learn more about Lasers. I'm an Ex Brit living in Ontario and as such have lost out on my former sport of Landyachting.

After looking high and low, and considering I live not 1/4 mile from Lake Simcoe, water type sailing seems the logical chioce. I've gathered from the little reading and research that I've done that the Laser provides the adrenilin and feeling of speed that I'm searching for. It's size also means that I don't need help to launch it .

I'm looking forward to looking at a boat this Saturday and applying the advice gleaned from this site. With luck I'll be on the water on Sunday

Thanks for all of your help so far . ...... Paul

Welcome to the exciting world of laser sailing. If you're interested in racing southern Ontario has lots of racing oppurtunities. If you're interested, in just over a week the Conestoga Sailing club is hosting the warm water regatta.

Welcome

It gets cold in Canada (aren't I helpful?) but with the proper gear you can sail in all conditions.

Many people will tell you as well, once you learn the basics (and I recommend having a bit of coaching if you are new to sailing in general) there is NO subsitute for time on the water. That's where you have the most fun too.

enjoy!

Hello Paul,
I hope to see your post on how your first "wet" sailing adventure goes. Good luck on the boat purchase, Laser sailing is a blast! Wishing for windy weekend here in Texas. Hope things work out well for you.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Welcome to the club - although 3 months sailing in my first single handed dinghy doesn't qualify me any more than you.
I found Ben Ainslie's book very helpful, lacking in some basics and rather frightening at times but if you have a bit of nowce you can learn a fair bit (yet to master sailing by the lee and gybing in light air...best left to another thread I think)

Will leave the Lions out of the picture as well.......!!!!

Bought the boat , sail # 08239, now after a bit of cleaning I'll be on the water.

Thanks for all of the comments

The cleaning is turning into a little repairing too....off to the UK next week, so I doubt that I'll be on the water till after that. keep you posted ..... I'm sure that you all want to know how many time I had to right myself !!!

Newbee said:
I found Ben Ainslie's book very helpful, lacking in some basics and rather frightening at times but if you have a bit of nowce you can learn a fair bit (yet to master sailing by the lee and gybing in light air...best left to another thread I think)

Will leave the Lions out of the picture as well.......!!!!

What was frightening in Ainslie's book? What is "nowce"? Lions?

Merrily

I've attached a couple of photos of the renovation so far .... a before and after of the hull ...... next I'm working on the deck after finishing a few minor repairs

Attachments

• Laser June 2005 Before.jpg
    Laser June 2005 Before.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Laser June 2005 After.jpg
    Laser June 2005 After.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 100
wow wut did u use to clean it?? i have family in barrie and i know how open kempenfelt bay is, nice for sailing. I too just invested in a laser, mine is a laser 2, so i know how excited u must be to get it out on the water. I am interested to hear back from u!!

Congrats, chris m.

Merrily, all these questions.......

'Frightening with Ainlies book' = wild angles sailed downwind. Trying to get a surf by sailing hi, almost on a conventional reach, then bearing right away to sailing by the lee - probably an angle change of 90 degrees. Also the huge roll tacks in light weather, centre plate coming way out of the water. Something my sailing carrer has not encountered before.

'Lions' = I digress from sailing but have to have a rib at Paul (being ex Uk) just in case he supports the Lions rugby team whom we (New Zealand all Blacks) are whipping at present. The Lions are made up of the best the UK can select.

Newbee said:
Merrily, all these questions.......

'Frightening with Ainlies book' = wild angles sailed downwind. Trying to get a surf by sailing hi, almost on a conventional reach, then bearing right away to sailing by the lee - probably an angle change of 90 degrees. Also the huge roll tacks in light weather, centre plate coming way out of the water. Something my sailing carrer has not encountered before.

'Lions' = I digress from sailing but have to have a rib at Paul (being ex Uk) just in case he supports the Lions rugby team whom we (New Zealand all Blacks) are whipping at present. The Lions are made up of the best the UK can select.

It's not that your 'kiwis' are any better than our LIONS .... you just play a different game (yep, I'm more rugby oriented than soccer, being ex forces) In the end it makes for a great game ... whomever wins

cunit said:
wow wut did u use to clean it?? i have family in barrie and i know how open kempenfelt bay is, nice for sailing. I too just invested in a laser, mine is a laser 2, so i know how excited u must be to get it out on the water. I am interested to hear back from u!!

Congrats, chris m.

Simply elbow grease, a product called 'Vertglas' and patience .. thanks for the compliment ... CU on the bay?

Back