HF Trailer, part II

Sonex

Got my HF boat trailer assembled and got things working well with my gunwale supports and bending pipe. Used 1/2" galvanized pipe wrapped in 1.25" OD clear vinyl(?) tubing. I originally tried to bend the pipe in a U-shape, like Kitty Hawk, but that got too complicated trying to match the fore-aft curve of the gunwale.

Two 5/16" U-bolts each side in the back. 1/4" bolts in the bow.

All the bends were done with a 3/4" conduit bender, rented for $10 for the weekend.

I may put in a strap of metal connecting the two bow supports. Mast support rack underneath later. For now, I've spent enough time on it this weekend for me. I'm 7 blocks from the lake and will probably drive the illegal trailer there in the next few days. HF didn't send the certificate of origin required to generate a title.

Thanks to Ben for his previous work and suggestions.

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• my laser trailer finished 001.jpg
    my laser trailer finished 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 94
  • my laser trailer finished 002.jpg
    my laser trailer finished 002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 94
  • my laser trailer finished 003.jpg
    my laser trailer finished 003.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 96
Thanks, guys.

I don't have a dolly, so a pivoting bow would be of little use. But thanks for suggesting it. I hadn't know the advantage of one, and figured it was for people who couldn't back a trailer straight.

Any pics of a trailer bed mounted rack for the spars? I didn't get much in a search. Was thinking of just taking a couple ~6" wide pieces of 3/4" plywood and cutting 3 half circles in them. One piece at the back, one in the front.

Cheers,
Dan

Got the spar rack done. A one foot section of 4" ABS pipe cut in thirds and sliced down the middle. Drilled two 3/16" holes in each through them and the trailer at the rear and fwd crossbar, countersunk the abs and Walla! I got a section of black foam pipe insulation I may glue on after it stops raining and dries out. Heads of the screws are below the bearing surface, so it should ride fine even without it, I'm thinking.

Happy Sailing,
Dan

Attachments

• my laser trailer spar rack 001.jpg
    my laser trailer spar rack 001.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 81
  • my laser trailer spar rack 002.jpg
    my laser trailer spar rack 002.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 76

Back