hey you lurkers!!!

R

Ross B

all you lurkers!

stop lurking and start posting, I see all of you!!

If you've sailed a Laser, you must have something to say!

I was born with it, felt it suited me, at least my parents thought so lol

well 88082 was my old sail number, and I don't use that boat anymore, I currently use 172515, so it felt weird here to be under 88082

Lurker here.

One of the great things about living in Durham, NC is that there is < 24 hour delivery time from APS using UPS ground.

Taylor

One of the great things about living in Durham, NC is that there is < 24 hour delivery time from APS using UPS ground.

That must rake the tourists in. :D

It takes about a week to get a parcel from the US to here. Depends on the health of the ponys we use to deliver them.

Did you know it is faster to send a parcel via Melbourne on Fed Ex, then back to the NZ destination, than to use a standard NZ courier to get things intercity? :eek:

And people have the nerve to call NZ Third World...

For those who have been wondering, the Laser in my icon photo is from Sunsail Club Colonna in Antigua. The sail had no battens and no window, but the boat did have the new vang/cunningham/outhaul rigging, which was nice.

How much did you have to tighten the vang to account for the loss of the battens?

If I order on Fridays from APS, like I just did, I should get it by Wednesday, or Thursday

Just a thought.

Are each of you surprised when:
A: You realize that you are still sailing this week? or next??
B. You need something because the old one suddenly after many years wore out?
c. A part that everybody breaks regularly breaks for you?

A sailor who has no stock of parts is like a cook who has no spices on the shelf.
Most of us are pretty certain we will be sailing for a while longer and do just a little bit of prior planning for that possibility.

I stock everything I might need. Neither I nor my friends will miss a race because one of us is missing a part....
and because I stock what I need well in advance I do not have to buy from retailers or ask for rapid expensive shipping.

Surprise!! Some of you may be sailing this summer.

There is another thread on this forum about the NA Long range Planning Committee's plan to close registration for the 2008 NA Champs January 1 and name the location and date of the event sometime in April 2008.

Look ahead kiddies!

Do some planning!!

It is the future of your game!!

Just a thought.

Are each of you surprised when:
A: You realize that you are still sailing this week? or next??
B. You need something because the old one suddenly after many years wore out?
c. A part that everybody breaks regularly breaks for you?

A sailor who has no stock of parts is like a cook who has no spices on the shelf.
Most of us are pretty certain we will be sailing for a while longer and do just a little bit of prior planning for that possibility.

I stock everything I might need. Neither I nor my friends will miss a race because one of us is missing a part....
and because I stock what I need well in advance I do not have to buy from retailers or ask for rapid expensive shipping.

Surprise!! Some of you may be sailing this summer.

There is another thread on this forum about the NA Long range Planning Committee's plan to close registration for the 2008 NA Champs January 1 and name the location and date of the event sometime in April 2008.

Look ahead kiddies!

Do some planning!!

It is the future of your game!!

No doubt! When I hit the road I've got bags full of of years of Laser stuff. Just because you replace it does not mean you sell or thow away the old part! Also, I take a full compliment of tools to fix anything at the regatta site. Spare sails, lines, old vang, tillers and extensions. I do not carry spare mast sections, but I always find someone who has them and work out a "if I need yours can I use it/buy it deal" before hand.

Gouvernail,

Two questions

1) Which pieces would you identify as being of the highest priority to stock spares? (i.e. what breaks the most often)

2) Where are you buying laser parts that isn't from retailers? I didn't think Vanguard sold direct anymore, and even when they did, the prices were identical to dealers.

Rob

"2) Where are you buying laser parts that isn't from retailers? I didn't think Vanguard sold direct anymore, and even when they did, the prices were identical to dealers."

of course they are, did you expect them to be different? You can buy from Vanguard, like I sometimes do, mine is in Costa Mesa. or you can go to Colie, or APS

It depends on what you seek. Some things are found at end of season specials in varios places that sell or used to sell sailboat parts.

Some of the stuff is just boating stuff. Like:
I know when my lifejacket is geting old and weary ( and the very most comfy... unfortunatly that also means it is about to shred)
So I start looking for a replacement. In Texas, REI, Academy , West Marine or any of a bunch of other places might have life jackets...So I get pone when I see it...Not order and special delivery from pone of the good folks mentioned above...

More when I am not supposed to be working.

of course they are, did you expect them to be different? You can buy from Vanguard, like I sometimes do, mine is in Costa Mesa. or you can go to Colie, or APS

I don't expect them to be different. When Gov said retail, I assumed he was refering to APS/Colie/Layline etc.

Back