Help!!!!!!!

4.7sailor

My question is whether anyone of you has a rule of thumb for outhaul and kicker adjustment because when i get the adjustment right(which happens seldom) I come first with a huge lead and whenever i get the adjustment wrong ( which happens most of the time) i lag behind all the other boats. Secondly, do any of you do kiting when going downwind. If yes, the n what technique do you use. I just hook my back leg around the toestrap and grap the top of the centreboard with my mainsheet hand.

Ciao:)

I'm assuming you are looking at fairly minor adjustments. In which case I would suggest that your kicker and downhaul settings are not the difference between "a huge lead" and "behind all other boats".

Concentrate on the way you sail and in particular the way you deal with wind shifts. Tweaking your downhaul will not give you a huge lead but spotting a shift and tacking accordingly might.

thanks for the reply fat-n-old but the thing is that i am pretty good at spotting windshifts and some of the senior sailors at my club told me that my problem was that i didn't have enough of a belly in the sail so i was pointing higher but was slowing down due to the chop. i just wanted a technique u guys use for adjusting your sail shape so that i might also benefit for example some guys use a distance of about one hand from the boom to the sail's foot when going up wind but that method doesn't seem to work for me.

thnx

Back