Help with laser 420

Bryston

Hi,
Am new to sailing, my son wanted to learn how to sail, no sailing school around.
We got a laser 420.
We are trying to figure out the rigging, my question is do I need the trapeze line installed at this point? Or should I skip, as we probably gone try to sail with main sail first.
Thanks for help

Did you mean a 420 built by Laser Performance?
I doubt there is such a thing as a Laser 420, but more to the point, I would wait with the trapeze until the two of you can handle the boat under varying conditions.

4F670738-E7D9-4089-8F16-04D283F08F9B.jpeg

That boat is an International ("I" for short in North America I guess) 420, and has nothing to do with anything Laser. Judging just by the styling and details, it looks like it was built by Nautivela in Milan, Italy for at least six years ago. (Probably it's not much older though.) Seems to be in contemporary top racing condition (the toothbrush is the ultimate giveaway - we can talk about that later :D ).

Answer to question 1: do not leave the trapeze out. Even if you don't do any actual trapezing at first, it's what the crew hangs onto even if he keeps the feet in the cockpit. (I assume the boat has no hiking straps for the crew, as it shouldn't.)

Answer 2 (although you didn't ask): do not try to sail it with the main only! It would actually be much more complicated, as the whole thing is designed around the sloop (two sails) rig.

Do you have rigging/tuning guides at hand? Do you have anyone who could help you on location? It's pretty limited what one can do online like this.

_

That boat is an International ("I" for short in North America I guess) 420, and has nothing to do with anything Laser. Judging just by the styling and details, it looks like it was built by Nautivela in Milan, Italy for at least six years ago. (Probably it's not much older though.) Seems to be in contemporary top racing condition (the toothbrush is the ultimate giveaway - we can talk about that later :D ).

Answer to question 1: do not leave the trapeze out. Even if you don't do any actual trapezing at first, it's what the crew hangs onto even if he keeps the feet in the cockpit. (I assume the boat has no hiking straps for the crew, as it shouldn't.)

Answer 2 (although you didn't ask): do not try to sail it with the main only! It would actually be much more complicated, as the whole thing is designed around the sloop (two sails) rig.

Do you have rigging/tuning guides at hand? Do you have anyone who could help you on location? It's pretty limited what one can do online like this.

_

Thanks for reply, I don’t have any guide/ manual,
I know the person who sold me the boar( not the owner) it was sails by some one who is training to compete)
Am not sure what the toothbrushes for ? I guess to clean the rope cleat. Just a guess
Thanks for help

Am not sure what the toothbrushes for ? I guess to clean the rope cleat.
:D Believe it or not, it's actually to keep the spinnaker halyard from pulling the spinnaker out of the bag when you don't want that... although I'm not sure if you need those in the 420. This is the story from the 470 class: 470sailing

_

I was reluctant to advise the use of the trapeze because Bryston wrote:

Am new to sailing, my son wanted to learn how to sail, no sailing school around.

There have been some tragic accidents with trapeze sailing (on 420s).
To hike, can't one sit on the rail and hold onto a shroud? Not very efficient, of course.

To hike, can't one sit on the rail and hold onto a shroud?
The shrouds are a bit too far forward and you don't get an adequate grip on them.

What I meant in #5 was hikng by holding onto the trapeze handle, without wearing the harness. Handle in forward hand, jibsheet in aft. I've had many a complete novice for their first sail like that, and great fun was had by all :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough at first :oops:

_

Back