Help w/ Mast Wear Plate Confirmation

BG3

Thank you for providing this fantastic resource for Laser sailors. Being new to the Laser, I have learned much from it. I grew up racing PHRF w/ my father and just recently decided to get back into sailing.

I purchased a '92 standard rig (SLI mfg.) a few weeks ago and have been working on getting the rigging straight and the hull and deck cleaned and polished. Now that it's done and up to spec, I want to tackle any preventative maintenance necessary on the mast step.

It seems solid and doesn't leak when filled with water. However, it does present some significant wear. So, I measured and it's right at 14-1/4" deep. So, I was considering epoxy to bring it up to 14" and installing a SS wear plate. However, I don't want to make the boat illegal in case I decide to get back into racing.

From what I've read on the forum, boats from ~100,000 sail # should have the disk but, they also referenced Vanguard. Since this was mfg'd by Sunfish/Laser, Inc. (sail #starts w/ 147), I'm thinking it doesn't have it. I attached a couple pics for reference. The pic of the base (bow is at 1 o'clock), notice the edge of material under the glass that runs from ~1 o'clock to 10 o'clock. That doesn't look like a disk to me. Besides, w/ 1/4" of material worn away, you think the SS would be visible.

Thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mast step base lo-res IMG_8731.JPG
    Mast step base lo-res IMG_8731.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Mast step base Depth lo-res IMG_8731.JPG
    Mast step base Depth lo-res IMG_8731.JPG
    638.7 KB · Views: 53

Back