Help...sail cleaning..decal transferred on sail

sunfishmary

Hi Everyone!

I am new here...what a great site! I have a 24 year old sunfish that I bought new in '84 with a rainbow sail. However my boat has not been out of the garage or in the water since 1994 (had a baby in '95 and again in '99). Now that the kids are older I am anxious to get my boat back in the water and teach them to sail. The boat looks pretty good, all I had to replace was the bailer. My sail however, has black marks on it, where the fish decal (which is still on) has transferred some on other parts of the sail that were rolled up with it during storage. What can I use to get the black marks out without ruining the sail?

Well my trailer didn't fare so well in the 13 years, but hubby has been great fixing it up with new tires, new bearings, and new electric.

Also, anyone in here from the Chicago area? Just wondering if there are any small lakes to sail on nearby that I could go with the kids during the week. I used to love to sail at Rock Cut State Park in Rockford, but its a cruise for just the day.

Thanks, this forum is GREAT!

I would try gentle rubbing and dishwasher type soap. Otherwise, let it be....
It's just esthetics and shouldn't effect a good time with the kids.

PS: Non-legal sails can be bought for less than $200. Perhaps you can convince Santa...

Hi Everyone!

I am new here...what a great site! I have a 24 year old sunfish that I bought new in '84 with a rainbow sail. However my boat has not been out of the garage or in the water since 1994 (had a baby in '95 and again in '99). Now that the kids are older I am anxious to get my boat back in the water and teach them to sail. The boat looks pretty good, all I had to replace was the bailer. My sail however, has black marks on it, where the fish decal (which is still on) has transferred some on other parts of the sail that were rolled up with it during storage. What can I use to get the black marks out without ruining the sail?

Well my trailer didn't fare so well in the 13 years, but hubby has been great fixing it up with new tires, new bearings, and new electric.

Also, anyone in here from the Chicago area? Just wondering if there are any small lakes to sail on nearby that I could go with the kids during the week. I used to love to sail at Rock Cut State Park in Rockford, but its a cruise for just the day.

Thanks, this forum is GREAT!

Hi, I had the same problem. I contacted several sailmakers and they gave me all kinds of chemical possibilities but it didn't work entirely. Just left a dull black smudge. My black sunfish ran so bad it was all over the spars, as well as two other sections of the sail. I found out that some sailmakers silkscreen, sew, or tape the emblem on. I think the silkscreen ones melt and run when it is stored in hot area (garage or outdoors). I ended up buying a new non class legal sail for $139.00 less a $20.00 rebate for sending in the old sail from Kevane Sails. Good Luck !

I forgot to tell you to go to our website at www.gcyc.net and at the top click on Junior Sailing. In the picture titled "Valentine" you can see my boat #7 being used during a Jr. Sailing program with the blob Sunfish and it's runny stains. I tried the different soaps and it wouldn't stop the bleeding. Only paint thinner worked (recommended by sailmaker) and it didn't hurt the sail. Now thinking back, I wish I had bought a yard of sail emblem adhesive fabric from Sailrite, cutout a inch larger Sunfish and gluded it over the old silkscreen. At least the Sunfish wouldn't look like a blob!

Back