Help Needed With Footwear

pmc7027

Hi All,
I just joined the Forum this evening. I pick up my new Laser on Saturday (sail # 186516). My first Laser was sail # 10015. I haven't been in a sailboat for 25 years, the new Laser was a 50th birthday present for myself.
I need advice on footwear. The water is cold here in New Jersey until June. I'm going to purchase a wetsuit and don't know what kind of footwear to get. I launch off a beach so I need something that will help keep my feet from freezing.
In the "old" days I was warm weather sailor so I always sailed bearfoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

David Schwartz

Any good dinghy boots will work, and I also wear synthetic socks with them. Nylon or polyester socks, or if you are rich, goretex socks will keep your feet toasty with the boots.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. Having never worn "boots" when sailing I have a question: Are the soles of sailing boots very flexible?

I sail on SF bay so while the water isn't freezing, it's definitely NOT warm. I use boots with the "ninja toe" (split big toe from rest of foot) and cannot wear warm socks. However, i find that having the split toe helps me grip things better with my feet...

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. Having never worn "boots" when sailing I have a question: Are the soles of sailing boots very flexible?

Yes, the soles of the dinghy "boots" are flexible. Prob more so then sneakers.

Gill makes a great dingy boot. You can use it all year long. I've sailed in it in July and October. It's warm when it needs to be and ok to sail in when it's warm.

hey david. I see you sail at CRYC, so you probably live in south jersey. Anyhow, Riverton yacht club Is have the ice breaker series on this sunday (if it doesnt storm), the 22, and the 29th of april. Fee is 5 a day, with pizza.

Directions:going toward the Tacony palmyra bridge on 73, you will see a sign that says Riverton, and delran. Anyway, turn Right after the overpass, and Right before the Roger wilco. Thats Broad st. Take it all the way down untill you see large building being built on the right, and A Brick courtyard on the left. This is riverton RD. make a left, follow all the way down to the end, and youre there. Its at the end of the street.

hey david. I see you sail at CRYC, so you probably live in south jersey. Anyhow, Riverton yacht club Is have the ice breaker series on this sunday (if it doesnt storm), the 22, and the 29th of april. Fee is 5 a day, with pizza.

Directions:going toward the Tacony palmyra bridge on 73, you will see a sign that says Riverton, and delran. Anyway, turn Right after the overpass, and Right before the Roger wilco. Thats Broad st. Take it all the way down untill you see large building being built on the right, and A Brick courtyard on the left. This is riverton RD. make a left, follow all the way down to the end, and youre there. Its at the end of the street.

Thanks, sk8ingsailor. I pick up my new boat today, but since I haven't sailed a Laser or any boat in 25 years I know I'm not ready to race. Maybe after a few weeks of practice I'll be ready to race (and probably come in last, LOL).

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful suggestions. When I picked up my new Laser on Saturday I bought a pair of Magic Marine boots.

If the forcast for next Saturday holds I'll get to sail the boat for the first time then.

Back