Help needed to date my boat

John K

2nd post and i'm hoping someone smarter then me can help me date my Sunfish. I've seen many pictures of other boats rudders and mine looks very different from anything i have seen. I have attached a picture of my rudder assembly and hope one of you knowlegdgeable folks can help me date the boat. The only thing i know for sure is that is it s Alcort Sunfish. Where is the serial number plate located. I only found the sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_7529.JPG
    IMG_7529.JPG
    656.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7538.JPG
    IMG_7538.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 64
Pretty old one you have there. Would guess 1960s. Do you have a few pictures of the hull? Does it have a rear cockpit storage area?

The boats of this vintage had an aluminum serial number plaque glued on just aft of the center of the splash guard. The serial number was stamped into it. Most of these fell off over the years. (The one on my boat came loose twice over the years. Last time I used 3M 5200 to put it back, hopefully permanently.)

Anyway in 1969 AMF bought Alcort so your boat is most likely from 1968 or earlier. My recollection is that by summer 1969, when my boat was purchased, the boats in the dealership were all labeled AMF Alcort.

The best clue to rough dating in your case is the foredeck stripe pattern or lack of it. How is the hull painted? Maybe someone on this forum knows the year the double stripes first appeared on the bow.

There might also be a number on the bronze rudder piece that is broken as shown in your other thread. That would indicate a very early fiberglass boat.

Check out the Sunfish knowlege base link in the menu bar. There is a section on history.

Last edited:
Based on the rudder fitting it is a 1960-1971 boat. The reinforced rudder head doesn't match that blade, it might be home brew.

Probably best to keep the dating thing under wraps. Skipper says start off with a bottle of wine, cheese, crackers. She also said some things about how easy Sunfish are that can't be posted here...

Pretty old one you have there. Would guess 1960s. Do you have a few pictures of the hull? Does it have a rear cockpit storage area?
No cockpit storage unless you mean that big open hole in the middle behind the dagger board.

Attachments

• IMG_7531.JPG
    IMG_7531.JPG
    603.4 KB · Views: 41
It has only the one in the cockpit. Im missing that plug too, but a wine cork fits perfectly.
Actually, what Headley was asking about was does your boat have one or two drain plugs on the deck... where the red arrows are pointing in the following photo.

drain_holes.jpg

Cheers,

- Andy

2nd post and i'm hoping someone smarter then me can help me date my Sunfish. I've seen many pictures of other boats rudders and mine looks very different from anything i have seen. I have attached a picture of my rudder assembly and hope one of you knowlegdgeable folks can help me date the boat. The only thing i know for sure is that is it s Alcort Sunfish. Where is the serial number plate located. I only found the sticker.

I found this document (attached) last year. This will narrow down your results. As far as dating your boat, when you do get the date....just make sure you call her the next day ;)

Attachments

• timeline.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

Back