Hello & Question

Whitlin

whitlin
Hello everyone, I'm new to this so if this is not the right place to ask a question, please let me know. I have a Sunfish that I have used little in the last 15 years. Got it back on the water and heard water in the mast and spars when we finally came in. How do I get it out. Does not drip out even when they are stored vertically. The boat is a 1979 AMF Alcort version. In good shape basically. Just refinished the dagger board, rudder and tiller parts. They look nice and my daughter says that they are hard to hold on to.

Thanks in advance

Whitlin,

You are in the right place (Yahoo Sunfish Sailor is another good source). First, don't get the mast and booms wet by letting them sit in the water (capsize, spray you can't avoid, ok). Take off all of the caps and re-install with some sealant (3M Marine Silicon). The caps are normally held on with tapered pins (see picture) that can be driven in with a small pin punch or nail. Drive them in just far enough to clear the mast or boom wall, that way they will be captured by the cap. Remove the cap and pull the pins from the inside. The pins are tapered and groved. You can reused them or get new (P/N 79513, pkg of 10). Clean the cap and inside of the mast or boom. If there is cork in your mast, you can remove it, not needed or required. Re-install the caps with a bit of sealant, inside the mast or boom and on the cap. Drill new holes at least 1/2" from the old holes in the mast or boom. I normally install 2 pins per cap, 180 degrees apart (one under the eye, one opposit the eye or where the halyard grove is on the mast top cap). Drive the pins flush with the mast or boom. At the joined end of the booms, with the 2 connected eye bolts, the caps are held in with the eye bolts instead of the pins. I suggest replacing the lower smooth boom cap with one that has an eye loop (P/N 79030). Install it with the eye on the same side as the nut for the eyebolt (see picture). This will help protect the deck from scratches when raising or lowering the sails and during racing with a low boom. Use plenty of caulk around the eye bolts to help seal the booms.

Attachments

• IMG_0312a.jpg
    IMG_0312a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0311b.JPG
    IMG_0311b.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 59

Back