Hello Everyone!

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
Hello everyone!
Im Huh825 (you can just call me Tim) And I have one old sunfish that is very important to me that is going to need alot of work. ALOT. This summer (or what is left of it) I plan on just getting the thing good to sale, I just want to go out on it once or twice. Then this winter and next summer I want to completely redo it. Completely strip it down to nothing and build it back up and fix it as I go along. I have no idea what year it is but I know its alcort and pre 1980, because it has the old rudder style and it does not have the compartment for the rudder in the cockpit. I have already decided to keep the old style rudder assembly because I do think it really isn't in bad condition (it just needs new screws) The bailer WILL NOT open at all. I've tried everything to twist, pull, rip it open and it will not budge. But I assume it will have to be replaced or rebuilt. The sail is in good condition as of this year, but the (ribets?) were corroded and broken. Lucky for me my mother offered to sew in new ones and fix the two small rips in the sail. The rigging on this boat is phenomenal and I bought one of the Tune a Fish kits so I have new rigging but ill keep the old on rite now since it still works fine. The hull is in great condition, only a few very minor scuffs. The deck is in good condition expect the paint. I dont know what happened. For some reason it was originally yellow and had been painted over with a rough off white color. Not gelcoat at all, I dont know what it is.

Ok the story behind the boat--- It was my uncles. It was I believe the first boat my uncle owned. He went to the naval academy and later in his life was a great business man but always loved to sail, big or small. When he became sick he sold all his boats expect this one, witch he kept in his boathouse. After he passed away the boat was moved to my (uncle in law I guess you could call him) house about 10 miles away. I was close to my uncle while he was still alive but this is the last thing I have to truly remember him by. He died while I was young, but I still miss him and that is why I am doing this. I am young myself, lets just say im about 16 and have limited knowledge in this area. I am a boater, and I know how to work with wood. But fiberglass work and some painting I cannot do that mite be required for this project. Lucky for me I know alot of people that can help me including a good good friend who works at a small boat yard down the street. I Really would like to do all the work myself so that is why im not just dropping the boat down their at the boatyard and having them do it. I will get help for the things I cannot do but most of the work will be done by me or I will have someone help me.

I will post some pics of the boat so you can have an idea. O and I have the worst spelling ever, just a warning :) even tho, this I put through spell check since it is such a big post. Thanks everyone and I look forward to this. Im sure this post will be edited many times in the next 3 days due to information I probably have left out.

-Tim

Am sailing an older 'Fish' myself. It sounds like, by your descriptions, that your boat like mine is pre 1971. The give aways: old rudder system, lack of cockpit storage hole and more.
I'm guessing by the tone of your message that working with fiberglass will come easy to you, you sound intellegent and with common sense so I believe you could pick it up quickly. BUT.....
Personally I find the old rudder system to be a royal pain but do admit I run the boat with missing rudder system parts. I have to resort to wire and a bungee cord to have any hope of keeping the rudder in place. I need the sping loaded plate that attaches atop the deck at the stern but even with that I think the newer system is the way to go.
At any rate, go for it and enjoy the process of the rebuild. You'll have what you'll look upon as a real treasure and heirloom when you launch her next year. Good luck

I have a 1969 (serial number in the 68000 or so) since last year. You will find lots of informations in this forum and in the Frequently Asked Questions section of Sunfishclass.org.

Your boat is probably quite heavy, so you will need to drill two inspections port to dry out the boat. I have installed one last week, the other one will wait 'till next year.

I have installed two cleats (one port and one starboard) to hold the main sheet, and a relocated the main sheet pulley just behind the centerboard.

Supercub has sent me a plate for the rudder but I still miss the spring plate and the ajusting screw. I plan to install a modern rudder and a fiberglass centerboard in the future.

You will find your boat very enjoyable in 10 to 20 knots wind since it is not hard to keep flat. You may enven go faster than some Lasers if you learn how to sail well. I plan to buy the Sunfish Bible next fall to hnow some secrets about the Sunfish!

Back