Height of a Sunfish on a Seitech dolly??

dnell1

Hi all. Just picked up a nice 81 Sunfish and need to build a deck to store it under. What kind of height clearance do I need and is it an O.K. idea to store a Fish on the dolly?
Thanks much. I'm new to sailing and I've learned much from this forum. Can't wait for warm weather in Bethany, Delaware.
Bill

is it an O.K. idea to store a Fish on the dolly?

I would be reluctant to do so. This opinion is based on the fact that the equivalent Laser Seitech dolly has a mechanism to take the hull off the strap for long-term storage. Apparently, 24/7 storage of the hull on the strap will deform a Laser hull. My comparative analysis may not hold because a Laser hull is structurally distinct from a Sunfish hull (with its internal foam support system). Perhaps others can contribute their thoughts.....

I used to store my old sunfish upside down on my dolly. I don't think it should deform the hull, especially if it is upsidedown. There are people at my club that do that. Really whats the difference between that and on a triler?

You can store a Sunfish right side up, year in and year out on a Seitech with no problem. But I am not near mine so unfortunately I cannot give you the height information you are looking for. BB

The highest point when sitting on a dolly, deck side up, is 28" at the stern. This is with the large knobby tires on a flat level surface. This measurement is with the Seitech dolly front end on the ground. With the deck level, (Dolly propped up) the highest point is 26" at the middle of the coaming/splashrail.

Back