Heavy wind landing

Sailkb

Is there a particular strategy to coming into the dock on a run in high wind? I sailed in 15+ mph this weekend and had a blast. But as I was on a run going straight at the dock, I had to circle a couple times to figure out the best way to get in. I eventually made it by untying my stopper knot and letting the line out, causing the spares to point out over the bow. It was very clumsy and I'm glad there were no other sailers watching :confused:

One of the lakes I sail on has a very narrow landing area between a private dock and the boat ramp. Sometimes I can sail in, but most of the time I drop my sail and paddle in. If the wind is following, you should be able to coast into the dock.

One of the lakes I sail on has a very narrow landing area between a private dock and the boat ramp. Sometimes I can sail in, but most of the time I drop my sail and paddle in. If the wind is following, you should be able to coast into the dock.
This was actually one of the options I considered. Problem with it was the wind was strong enough, I didn't feel comfortable moving out of the cockpit long enough to reach the mast to untie. I felt the wind might take the boat on over. I guess I could have circled the boat around and put in irons, drop the sail and then paddle back around. I might try your option next time.

One thing I'm going to try this year is to rig something to keep the tiller centered so the boat stays in irons. That way it should be easier to keep the sail centered on the boat when I drop it. I have a Phantom, which is a little wider than a Sunfish, plus, I'm reletivly small so I can wander out of the cockpit easily.

If you undid the sheet and the spars went straight forward, you were going dead downwind on your approach to the dock. The correct way to dock is to go upwind. You come in and turn head to wind and glide to the dock. If it is really windy it takes some practice to turn so you are barely moving when you get to the dock.

Docking this way has the important advantage that once you are tied up your boat is pulled away from the dock. Docking on the windward side as you were trying to do means the boat just gets smashed into the dock continuously once you tie it up. BB

I would follow Baseman's recipe (been there, done that).

Turn the boat into the wind, but not too far away from the dock, beach, whatever. Not too close either since the wind is going to push you back. Sit on your knees on the deck so that you can uncleat the halyard and lower the sail quickly. When it's really windy, this may get a bit messy and part of the sail may get in the water. Haul the sail back into the boat and roll it towards the spars to reduce windage. Remember, it's blowing hard. Wind your sheet around the sail/spars to prevent the whole kaboodle from unraveling. Once all is tidy, start paddling.

Keeping the tiller immobilized with an elastic won't do you much good IMHO. Your boat will be pushed around anyway (backwards mostly because you are head to wind), but once the sail is down, you will have better control.

To follow beldar's recommendation, you will need a good amount of space for the turn-around into the wind. You don't want to run aground (and damage your board).

Sit on your knees on the deck so that you can uncleat the halyard and lower the sail quickly. When it's really windy, this may get a bit messy and part of the sail may get in the water. Haul the sail back into the boat and roll it towards the spars to reduce windage. Remember, it's blowing hard. Wind your sheet around the sail/spars to prevent the whole kaboodle from unraveling. Once all is tidy, start paddling.

This is usually a clumsy ordeal for me even on a regular sail when docking and derigging. I think with practice I will get it, but now, at least part of the sail usually ends up in the water. In heavy wind I'm afraid I would have it all over the place. But that is better than slamming into the dock or another boat. Thanks for the thoughts. It's nice to have an idea of what to do in these situations. PS. I was advised to practice sailing backward last summer when at a sailing lesson. I guess I need to get with it. :cool:

Sailing backwards is a great skill, but hard, even in light winds. Don't count in this technique to do much for you in the heavy wind scenario you described.
Unless, of course, you want to go for a swim. But with all those people looking from the dock, who wants to do that?

I do it with some frequency when I'm frostbiting (sailing backwards in or out of a tight space to avoid jumping in the icy water up to my waist.). It does take practice, but it can be done!

Well, I should say that I've sailed backwards a few times by accident when just learning :) I think I've finally learned to avoid that.

Back