Heavy pre 71.. what do I do?

Bikerbob

I have a pre 71 ( I have figured this out) I am not sure on the exact # yet.. I have to check the plate if I can find it.

I sailed it for the first time this past weekend. It is a family boat that was passed to us. MOST of the lines need replacing.. but the spars are in good shape as well as the sail and all rings. Dagger and Rudder are good.. I have almost no deck fittings.. but the Traveller?? is in good shape.

My sheet line, outhauls and Halyard needs replacing. Can someone give me the SPECS on the line dimensions?

Finally, after reading quite a bit in the last few hours.. I have found that this hull is supposed to weigh between 120 - 140 lbs... well I can tell you this hull is got to be close to double that or more.. would be my guess.. anyway.. lets assume its heavy..

I figured out there is a drain plug.. just tonight after reading.. and I can open that.. but other than that?? Anything I can do to try and "dry" it out? Are early ALCOURT hulls heavier than i have been reading?

Thanks
James

James, search through this forum and you will find the answer. You will have to put in inspection ports and go from there. How to is covered in past posts here.

James,
After draining the boat you may find that the boat is still very heavy. Water may have soaked into the styrofoam blocks that are located between the hull and deck. The boat can be dried out but it just takes time to do that.

Join Sunfish Sailer at Yahoo Groups and look through their "File" sections for instructions about drying out a Sunfish. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/

Here is a link that Dan gave me to identify your boat's year from the serial number: http://www.sunfishclass.org/frequent/index.htm

On my '59 boat, the plate with the serial number is on the deck, right inside the "V" of the splash guard. I am planning on putting in a port as soon as the humidity drops in the fall and get the hull the dried out. I know it's overweight too

OK, inspection ports it is.

I am also going to install a fairlead and cleat for the mainsheet..

We have no Sunfish fleets up here in Toronto Area Canada, so I am not going to be concerned about installing class equipment.

I have Joined the Yahoo group.. and lots of stuff there was very useful.

I am a keelboat sailer for the most part.. started my whitesails on an Albacore.. but since its been Tanzer 22s and larger.

It was fun to get out on the Sunfish. Looking forward to some more afternoon on Lake Muskoka with it.

James

Well, putting in inspection plates is a great idea, I could use one with a rabbit sack in it anyway as the boat has NO storage at all.

does anyone know of a close up photo of the dagger board retaining system rigged up? as I dont have one. would like one, and have not seen any sort of install guide for that yet.

Quickly - is the gooseneck supposed to hold the boom tightly? Not allow it to move at all? Thanks

James

I just snug up my goosneck to the boom so it doesn't slip, just slightly snug. I heard of others in our fleet that don't snug it much at all. They claim that the tension of the wind on the sail will keep the loosey goosy gooseneck from slipping.

yes the goose neck should be tight enough to keep the boom from slipping in it.

Glad you're getting to enjoy your SF. I think they are the jet ski's of sailing. Wish there were as many SF on the lakes as there are jet ski's

as popular as this boat is.. and I think it is. There seems to be little of no organized racing of it here in Ontario Canada. Too bad. I would love to do some one design racing with it.

James

Back