Headers and Lifts

Hi - I seem to have big trouble detecting headers going upwind, getting out of phase with the shifts - so even with comprable boat speed (being genourous to myself!) I am well behind the leaders at the weather mark.

Does any one have some good tips - tack on headers - but when do you know it's a header (doh!)? PS I dont have a compass.

Thanks.

As you sail upwind look at the point on land where your bow is pointed. If you can steer above that point you are lifted. If you fall below it you are headed.

If you are sailing in an area where there is no land point of reference available i.e. the ocean then you really need a compass to do this well. Otherwise try to see how your angle to the weather mark is on each tack. The tack that has you pointed more directly at the mark is the "lifted" tack. Anytime you fall below your line to the mark you are getting headed. If you feel the course adjustment is enough to justify tacking then tack.

You can also use the relative angles of other boats on the course as a guide to what's going on. Boats on the same tack and to leeward of you will gain if you get knocked, and lose if you get lifted. Obviously the reverse applies if you are the leeward boat. So if a boat to leeward seems to suddenly make a big gain, you have probably sailed into a header, and it is time to tack.

You can also judge by boats on the opposite tack. If you are crossing someone comfortably then it suddenly becomes less comfortable, tack. (Unless of course they have picked up a lift which hasn't knocked you yet, in which case you may choose to keep sailing until you reach the different breeze - it depends on what the bulk of the fleet is doing).

Once you get used to it, this is a much better technique than using a compass or shore transits, as a compass will only show you what is happening on your part of the course, but using the fleet will show you what is happening across the whole course. Ultimately you want to be on the lifted tack relative to the fleet, or at least your nearest competitors, even if the compass tells you you are getting knocked. Generally speaking anyway.

Another way to tell if you're getting headed is if you find that your windward telltale keeps stalling and you are pulling the tiller to windward more than usual for the conditions.

Boats on the same tack and to leeward of you will gain if you get knocked, and lose if you get lifted. Obviously the reverse applies if you are the leeward boat.

This seems backward to me, is it right for sure??????

This seems backward to me, is it right for sure??????

Yep. Hold your hands in front of you, side by side with a few inches between them and facing upwards. They are your two boats, neither ahead of the other. Breeze is blowing from top right to bottom left. Now turn them both anti-clockwise. That is your header. Which one is ahead now? Should be your left, or leeward hand.

Yep. Hold your hands in front of you, side by side with a few inches between them and facing upwards. They are your two boats, neither ahead of the other. Breeze is blowing from top right to bottom left. Now turn them both anti-clockwise. That is your header. Which one is ahead now? Should be your left, or leeward hand.

Oh, cool!

Yeah thats the right way round - it took me a while to work it out, but when I did it was a revelation and tactics became so much easier!!!

As you sail upwind look at the point on land where your bow is pointed. If you can steer above that point you are lifted. If you fall below it you are headed.

Otherwise try to see how your angle to the weather mark is on each tack.

Another way to tell if you're getting headed is if you find that your windward telltale keeps stalling and you are pulling the tiller to windward more than usual for the conditions.

You can also use the relative angles of other boats on the course as a guide to what's going on. Boats on the same tack and to leeward of you will gain if you get knocked, and lose if you get lifted. Obviously the reverse applies if you are the leeward boat. So if a boat to leeward seems to suddenly make a big gain, you have probably sailed into a header, and it is time to tack.
- I like it!!

Thanks alot, good advice, I'll give it a go next time out. Also have a few questions about favoured side, cloud formations, tides etc. but I'll leave that for another day - one step at a time. Thanks again, much appreciated

More on spotting shifts by looking at an opposite tack boat.
[Only been sailing a Laser for a few months but have used this method in 2 person boats - its easier if you have a crew.]
First - do you know how to tell if you are crossing a starboard tacker. Look at the distant background behind the stbd boat [ a distant cloud over their masthead will do if no background]. You now have a transit. Is the stbd tacker going back or forward relative to the transit. If back, you will cross ahead:). If it CHANGES to forward, there has been a WINDSHIFT and you have lost out:(.

And as for using shadows to spot windshifts, thats another story.

Back