Has anyone used this? Navman M300

Sail4SC

http://www.navman-store.com/usa/product_details.php?id=68

This looks like the ultimate training tool.. I want one.. hopefully someday they will be legal for racing. Only $140 USD with rebate..

Navman Sport.Tools use state-of-the-art GPS satellite technology to provide sport enthusiasts with the information they need: speed, distance and much more. With accurate and up-to-the-second readings, performance is measurable, training more effective. You just get more fun out of your sport. All the Sport.Tools in the series have been custom-designed to meet the demands of various sports. And they have been put to the real-world test by active athletes. The philosophy: easy to use and no-frill features. Anything else distracts from the game at hand, distracts from the fun of training.Who was the fastest on the water today? No more guessing… The M300 Sport.Tool has been specifically optimized to meet the requirements of water sports enthusiasts. Alternatively displays miles and knots.

Sail4SC said:
http://www.navman-store.com/usa/product_details.php?id=68

This looks like the ultimate training tool.. I want one.. hopefully someday they will be legal for racing. Only $140 USD with rebate..

I haven't tried the Navman, but I did get the Garmin Foretrex 201 as my primary Christmas present. I don't know how much my husband spent, but I know he didn't spend list. Anyway, I haven't yet been sailing with the Foretrex, but I've taken it in my car. It's fairly easy to use. It has a VMG feature, so I'm looking forward to marking the club buoys as my waypoints and trying to make the best time, even when practicing alone. I got it primarily so I could tell how fast I'm sailing--as a training device. It has a starting line countdown, but of course I can't use it while racing because the device is an electronic compass.

http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex201/

Merrily

I've never used these, but the Navman display looks a little small.

The one Merrily has looks like it would be easier to read.

I'd just be concerned I'm straing to see the display instead of sailing the boat.

Merrily, is yours easy to read at a glance while moving around?

WestCoast said:
Merrily, is yours easy to read at a glance while moving around?

Yes. You wear it like a watch, and like I said, I won't be racing with it, just doing speed checks in practice. I'll be able to see for myself what all the sail adjustments do to speed. I wouldn't need a training partner, except I don't think that it drinks beer.

Merrily

I have no personal experience with this but if you want a GPS unit principally for displaying speed and that's easy to read, check out the Velocitex S3. Looks like it's used by the top Moth sailors and some windsurfers.

All these look like great training devices, might just have to get one.

Merrily said:
...just doing speed checks in practice. I'll be able to see for myself what all the sail adjustments do to speed. ...
Merrily

Hi,
I'm just curious how to practice, especially upwind. Do you just look at SOG (speed-over-ground) in upwind?

Ideal scenario would be to somehow read the VMG (actual speed towards wind) but that kind of equipment is far-out for a Laser and aimed only for bigger keelboats.
I have a small handheld GPS of older date and I'm thinking of buying a new. I use it a lot on my small power boat, but have been thinking on Laser practice also. (temporary mounted on the compass spider)

Maybe there is a small modern handheld GPS which you could preset a bearing (the wind direction in this case) and then set it to show the speed along this bearing?
With a feature like this you will be able to show VMG as long as the wind doesnt shift. Could be useful in both upwind and zig-zag path in downwind.
Anyone know a handheld GPS with this feature?

mange said:
Ideal scenario would be to somehow read the VMG (actual speed towards wind) but that kind of equipment is far-out for a Laser and aimed only for bigger keelboats.

The Garmin Foretrex 201 has the VMG feature listed in the specs. :D Like I said, I haven't been sailing with it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

It's been warm enough here that the water is not hard--highly unusual and my sympathies to DN sailors, but there are no docks to launch from. I don't want to tear up my boat or me on a slippery ramp. Also, if there were someone enthusiastic about frostbiting to go out with, I'd do it, but there is not. So boo hoo.

Merrily

Back