Harness and Harness Rigging Question

jdtaillant

I'd like to rig up a harness for hiking out. I dont have a harness, and have only seen a few diagrams for boats other than the CAPRI 14.2. Does anyone have good pictures to share showing the harness rigging? I am considering buying a Windsurf board or KITE surf board harness and rigging it myself. I am not sure however, what the gear is like, what thickness wire to use, and how precisely to configure the hook system. I noticed in one figure I saw that there is a SHOCK cord option, which goes from Port Side to Starboard so that the hook can slide side to side when change sideswithout havign to unhook. Can anyone provide guidance and/or suggestions on how to proceed. OR BETTER YET, pictures of their rigging!? Thanks Daniel
[email protected]

Hi Daniel,
You're not planning to man the helm while trapezing, are you? If so, running around afore the mast is out of the question.

I don't have a trapeze rig on my C-14 (yet) but I've been looking at it, too. Although I might have seen a rig like you describe that doesn't require unhooking, that is certainly the exception and not the rule. Normally you unhook and duck under the boom and re-hook to a separate trapeze wire on the opposite side. Otherwise you would need to jump over the shrouds and slip by the jib hoping not to foul your feet in the jib sheets. Possible yes... but in the heat of battle...

And the bungie arrangement you describe allows more elasticity while hanging off one or the other trapeze wires - and does not facilitate staying hooked while changing sides. Basically, both trapeze wires need to be bungied to the deck while not in use so you can find them when you need to hook up. With two separate bungies, one on each side, they might not be long enough to keep the trapeze tight while not in use, and yet allow for full extension while hanging out on the trapeze. So... connecting the trapeze wires to the same bungie that threads through fairleads on the deck and a cheek block near the bow, you get considerably more elasticity while hiking out. But you still need two trapeze wires to attach to each end of the considerably longer bungie.

My advice is call Annapolis Performance Sailing and tell them what you want to do. They sell everything you need, including the harnesses you wear, and their service is superb. Figure on spending about $300 - $500. And while you're at it, have them send you one of their videos showing trapezing. My suggestion would be "Awesome Aussie Skiffs I or II, but I'm sure they have some that are more educational. Then once you have it all installed and have the procedure down pat, send me an IM with all the details. Every sport needs a pioneer and I'm too broke, so it looks like you're it! ;)

May the force(s) be with you!
Jim

Rigging the Trapeze

Well that was a great response. I will get to this sooner or later, and if I do, I will definitely send you the pics! Thanks for the suggestions, it all makes much sense. I first have to resolve some centerboard problems which I am going to try to do next month. I never had the centerboard mounts installed (I bought theboat used and they were missing), and just had them made to order at a local metalshop as best I could from some figures and pics one forum member sent to me. We'll see if they work! Do you happen to have pictures of yours?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Sorry, I don't have pics of my centerboard bracket. If the ones you get made don't work, I would try contacting Catalina. Maybe they have some laying around.

Good luck!
Jim

Centerboard brackets

You might look for Coronado 15's for parts - it's design is almost identical to the Capri 14/Catalina 14.2.

Rigging the Trapeze

jdtaillant said:
Well that was a great response. I will get to this sooner or later, and if I do, I will definitely send you the pics! Thanks for the suggestions, it all makes much sense.

Daniel

Before the Capri 14.3, Catalina made the Coronado 15 which came from the factory with a trapeze. I don't think they still make the boat, and it's unlikely they have the trapeze parts any more.

Check out the C-15 website and direct a question about finding a trapeze assembly to someone in their association.

http://coronado15.org/

Good Luck!

I'd like to rig up a harness for hiking out. I dont have a harness, and have only seen a few diagrams for boats other than the CAPRI 14.2. Does anyone have good pictures to share showing the harness rigging? I am considering buying a Windsurf board or KITE surf board harness and rigging it myself. I am not sure however, what the gear is like, what thickness wire to use, and how precisely to configure the hook system.

I sure wish this question had been asked 11 years later then it was. I'm going through the same thing with my boat right now.

Due to an issue with a "dodgy back" (25 year-old disc herniation), I'm brainstorming ideas for a harness system myself, and I too am leaning towards something involving a kiteboarding waist harness for support.

I thought about rigging a trapeze from the shroud-tang on the mast, but feared it would pull me towards the mast too much.

Right now my plan is to run a lengths of rope/line from the waist harness to a set of SS eye-straps I mounted to my jib-car tracks (pic).

For me it's not just about support while hiking-out, but general lower back support all the time.

My idea is to attach one end of the line to the stainless eye-strap, then on my end, through a double-block, fiddle block with a jam cleat, like the one on the boom vang, and have a loop of rope at my end that I can easily attach (and disconnect) from the hook on the harness.

I know that sounded like quite a mouthful, but it's really quite simple and would result in a pair of highly adjustable harness lines that would be attached on both sides of the cockpit.

I just have to find an affordable kiteboarding harness that will fit a 38" - 40" waist.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b40.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b40.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Winston, you might want to attach your hiking harness line and eyestrap to the cockpit floor like they do in certain keelboats (Yngling and Soling at least) so you don't have to touch it when you tack or gybe.

_

I considered that, but then it would be pulling down on my back at a very steep angle, and that could be bad; like lifting something heavy.
Straight across, or better yet, slightly upward would be much better and more comfortable.

I sure wish the Capri had a taller Barney Post, like some of the RS dinghies do. Then I'd get the height and not have to move anything when tacking.

I also considered running a length of rope between the two jib car tracks and tying off to the middle of it, but the line would restrict movement in the cockpit, especially when trying to reach the jib sheets. Still, something to consider and play with.

Winston, you might want to attach your hiking harness line and eyestrap to the cockpit floor like they do in certain keelboats (Yngling and Soling at least) so you don't have to touch it when you tack or gybe.

_
I'm going to try a traditional trapeze rig, attached high up on the mast, and use a kite waist-harness for support.
That way the support will come from above, and not below from the rail or cockpit floor.

Fingers crossed.

-W

Will be stellar if it works. I think it should. Keep us posted!

Got it installed, but I won't be able to test it until my new hubs and wheels arrive.

I went with traditional trapeze wires, blocks and cleats, but I attached them much lower on the mast than usual so that the angle would be correct. Too high and the wire would be pulling on my harness upwards, instead of forwards, if that makes any sense. Because I won't be standing on the rail/gunwale, I needed to mount the trap tangs lower on the spar.

Hard to get proper lower back support if the harness is pulling straight upwards on my back. It needs to support me like the backrest on a chair, so the angle of the wire can't be too steep.

The red line on the right, in the background, is my new topping line to keep the boom from falling into the boat when I drop the mainsail.
The red line attached to the ring in my hand, is the retrieval line, which is attached to a ring on my jib-car track.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bb3.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 62

Back