Harken Hoisters

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
After heavy duty downsizing, my fleet is now at two Sunfish and two Sailfish. One Sunfish is blissfully stored in a nice safe place next to another, at the house next to where I grew up.

Now I’ve got to find a cozy storage for the other three. I purchased a Harken Hoister and am planning to install it in the two car garage that came with my rental home. I’d like to “hoist” both the Sailfish in the garage and keep Fishnet, my original project Sinfish on my workshop dolly. Here’s my question:

Is it really worth it for me to spend another $180 on a second Harken Hoister? Or might one of the knockoff kayak holders rated up to 150lbs be just as sufficient for half the price or less?

I realize typing this out that I’m talking only about $100 difference or so, but every penny counts, unless Harken is really the only safe way to go…
IMG_6221.jpeg

Pic of En Vie, my third Sunfish who resides now next door to the house where I grew up :)

I made my own hoister much cheaper than that with some line, ratchet straps (not using the ratchet, just tied a knot), a few blocks and a harbor freight worm gear hand winch. Seems to work great for my sunfish and Zuma, definitely way overkill but I like that, especially when it's hanging over another boat. Winch can be seen on the right in the second image

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
I made a winch setup for a car cargo box, but it'd work as well for a boat. Farm and Fleet trailer winch, blocks from Amazon that can be mounted on edge or flat. 1/4" line.
Amazon link to pulleys: Amazon.com

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    967.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    739.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    809.1 KB · Views: 73
After heavy duty downsizing, my fleet is now at two Sunfish and two Sailfish. One Sunfish is blissfully stored in a nice safe place next to another, at the house next to where I grew up.

Now I’ve got to find a cozy storage for the other three. I purchased a Harken Hoister and am planning to install it in the two car garage that came with my rental home. I’d like to “hoist” both the Sailfish in the garage and keep Fishnet, my original project Sinfish on my workshop dolly. Here’s my question:

Is it really worth it for me to spend another $180 on a second Harken Hoister? Or might one of the knockoff kayak holders rated up to 150lbs be just as sufficient for half the price or less?

I realize typing this out that I’m talking only about $100 difference or so, but every penny counts, unless Harken is really the only safe way to go…View attachment 58163

Pic of En Vie, my third Sunfish who resides now next door to the house where I grew up :)
Install the first Harken Hoister and see how it goes, then decide on whether to buy a second one. I purchased one and installed it in the back of our garage, perpendicular to the direction are cars drive into the garage. We did not have the ceiling height to install above the garage door. This made the installation more challenging, but it works well. Not only do you need the ceiling height you need space along the wall the lines terminate on to be clear. Since we have shelves around the walls I had to get creative.

Back